Great place/base camp for a family!
Submitted: January 5, 2013
Stayed: December 2012
We stayed at this wonderful house over Christmas 2012. Our family of five (kids 15, 12, 9) walked through the front door right at sunset and were awed by the view. The house is better than the pictures and is phenomenal. Amy and Jim were great from the date of the initial inquiry to tips during the trip. The have great advice and will help you with anything you need.
A few points for those considering this property that I was unsure of before we got there:
1) The location is perfect. You can walk (or drive) down the hill to Dominicalito Beach - which is the best surfing beach for beginners and a great swimming beach too. You can also walk to a cool little waterfall the kids loved. The house is about five minutes from Dominical Beach and the stores and restaurants there. It is about 10 minutes to the Hacienda Baru zip lines. About 15 minutes to the Nauyaca Falls horse tour and 15 minutes to Uvita.
2) The grocery store in Dominical had almost everything we needed. It is pretty small, but I was worried it was more like a convenience store - it is more like a corner grocer in a big city. Meats are frozen and limited vegetables, but there are 2-3 fruit and vegetable stands in Dominical. The Uvita grocery store is only 15 minutes south if you need more.
3) This is a great surf destination, but also so cool for so many other things. There is a ton to do within 30 minutes and the house is perfectly situated to take advantage of it all. If you do go surfing, Dylan at Sunset Surf is the BEST.
4) The monkeys came up the canopy every single morning. The would come up in front of the house, traverse across the side of the house and then head out behind the house. We saw toucans regularly as well from the deck.
5) The drive up the hill is steep and 4 wheel drive is recommended since the road can get a bit muddy after a heavy rain. I was a little worried about this from some of the reviews, but we discovered that almost every single house in and around Dominical has a steep climb and the hill to this house was not an issue. The elevation makes the view!
6) This house is first rate compared to the others in Canto Del Mar. Everything is updated nicely, the kitchen is well stocked to cook, and there is Sky TV in every room (actually watched Monday Night Football and the NFL RedZone Channel). Additionally, it is in the third tier which we thought was the best elevation a perfect view.
Thank you Amy and Jim for a great house and renting experience.
Tourists without a Car,
Families with Teenagers,
Families with Young Children,
Did you find this review helpful?