Diever Farmhouse Rental Photos and Description
Sleeps up to 12 (max. 10 adults). In a village located between 3 National Parks
‘Under the Oaks’ vacation farmhouse - an historic building dating from 1840 (the farm is no longer operational, so there is no livestock present)
Location: Diever village, Drenthe Province, Netherlands
** Up to 20% year-round discount for smaller parties - see 'Additional Information about Rental Rates' under the 'Rates' section for more information! **
The vacation farmhouse:
- A large, well-equipped & tastefully-furnished Dutch former farmhouse situated in the center of unspoiled Diever village.
- Our farmhouse will provide all amenities for the most perfect stay in this historic Drenthe village which is situated at the heart of rural Netherlands and surrounded by areas of stunning natural beauty, including the largest wet-heathland in western Europe at Dwingelderveld.
- Fast (up to 80 Mb/s) and secure wireless internet access throughout the farmhouse.
- Comfortable boxspring beds as well as washbasins in the twin bedrooms upstairs. The large double bedroom comes with a boxspring bed plus a large built-in wardrobe. There are LCD TVs plus DVD-players in 2 of the bedrooms.
- Large main room, with high ceilings and large windows. There are 4 sofas plus armchairs to easily accommodate even the largest of parties. A new LCD TV gives access to British & American TV stations and there is a stereo system and DVD-player plus a selection of movies on DVD, as well as a CD collection.
- Kitchen with all modern amenities, including separate full-size fridge/freezer
- Dining area with table that can be expanded to accommodate larger groups.
- The bathroom has a double swing-door walk-in shower.
- Separate upstairs and downstairs WCs
- For children, there are cupboards full of soft toys, electronic / board games, puzzles and books. While 2 cots, 2 highchairs, a play-pen and a baby bath will help accommodate our youngest guests.
- Safety features include fire extinguishers, fire blanket, smoke detectors and a stair gate
- Comprehensive English-language tourist information available covering Diever village and the surrounding areas (including Friesland, its islands and Overijssel), as well as most major tourist attractions in the Netherlands is provided.
- Library of English-language books.
- Easy walking access to nearby grocery store, restaurants, bars, ice cream parlor, an award-winning bakery (one of the finest in the Netherlands!), souvenir shops, tourist office, as well as the village bird sanctuary, archaeological museum, megalithic stones and the Drents-Friese forest.
- Guests have exclusive use of the front farmhouse which adjoins the owner's property. The house is entirely self contained with two entrances for full privacy
- Up to 2 well-behaved pets can be accommodated with prior notice
- Please note that this is a non-smoking accommodation
- A complimentary welcome pack will be found on arrival, containing bread, butter, milk, jam, cheese, eggs, sugar, coffee, tea and orange juice.
If you would like anything else in particular to be included in the welcome pack, please just let us know.
- It is just a 10-minute walk to reach the forests of the Drents-Friese Wold (6,100 hectares / 15,070 acres), one of the largest National parks of the Netherlands, with its 32 marked walks & numerous cycle paths. Also situated close by to National Park Dwingelderveld (3,692 hectares / 9,120 acres) - the largest moorland on the European Continent - with its 60 kms (37 miles) of walking trails & 40 kms (25 miles) of bicycle paths. Diever is at the center of an abundance of historical sites and attractions for adults and children of all ages. Diversity on your doorstep!
- Get a glimpse of life in the Netherlands during the 18th century at the ‘working‘ village of Orvelte. Visit the WWII transit camp at Westerbork – to where Anne Frank and her family were brought. Take in the many museums that will provide an interest to each member of your group. For teenagers, there are 18 fun parks and, for our younger guests, enchanting ‘fairy tale’ parks nearby. While the city of Groningen ('shop till you drop') & the German border are all less than an hour's drive, the provincial capital at Assen is just a 25-minute drive away! Not forgetting a day-out to the world-famous Emmen zoo, while for those looking for more sporty activities, sailing, boat excursions & fishing can be enjoyed at Giethoorn (the ‘Venice of the North’). Also, there is an 18-hole golf course available in Havelte (14km/9 miles away).
- Want to visit the beach as well? The Frisian islands make a great day out with some of the best beaches in the Netherlands:
Terschelling island -
The ferry to Terschelling leaves from Harlingen, Friesland (1 hr 45 mins ferry crossing).
A ferry service runs from Holwerd, Friesland (45 minutes by catamaran or 120 mins by regular ferry). Excursions are available from Ameland to visit seal colonies on Robbeneiland.
Schiermonnikoog island -
The ferry runs several times a day from Lauwersoog, Groningen (45 minutes crossing time).
The ports are around 1 1/2 hours from Diever.
The village of Diever -
Diever is located at the south-westerly tip of the province of Drenthe (approx. 2 hours east of Amsterdam), is renowned for the open-air productions of Shakespeare which have been re-enacted in its forest amphitheatre every summer since 1946. In the village there is a grocery store, an award-winning bakery, a good variety of shops, cafes, bars, restaurants and a bank. There is a market, encircling the village’s 14th century church, selling everything from clothes to local products – this is held in Diever every Monday throughout the Summer months.
There is also a Dutch National Tourist office in Diever with a wealth of information on the surrounding area.
So, whether its picnicking in the forest, taking a dip in a forest bathing pool or going by horseback along one of the many marked trails, you won’t be disappointed by this areas rich heritage, its welcoming, English-speaking people and its unending choice of excursions and attractions. Come and visit the real Netherlands!
- Diever is easily accessible from both Amsterdam Schiphol and Dusseldorf airports (both are 2 hours distance). A car is recommended (rental cars also available at both airports), although public transport (bus) just a few minutes’ walk away with links to the surrounding villages and towns. Nearest rail station is at Beilen (20 minutes away)
Using the farmhouse as a base to explore the Netherlands:
Are you looking for a central base from which to explore the Netherlands?
- apart from being able to explore the north and east of the country with ease, ‘Under the Oaks’ is also very centrally located for visiting both the south / south-west of the Netherlands, as well as the west of the country. The travelling times for reaching these areas are considerably shorter than travelling via the highway network in the west of the country, as our roads and highways here in the north and east are less congested.
- Being situated in the south-west corner of Drenthe, Diever is placed at the crossroads of three Dutch provinces - Drenthe, Overijssel and Friesland - all uniquely different to one another. So when you are in Drenthe, why not discover Friesland and Overijssel provinces as well - the borders lie just 15 minutes away by car, with the highway just 11 kms (7 miles) away!
Driving times from Diever to other parts of the Netherlands?
- it’s less than 2 hours from Diever to the southern city of Eindhoven (the Belgian border is just south of there).
A visit to Amsterdam while staying in Diever?
- many of our guests drive the 45 minutes to the suburbs of Almere, and then take the short train journey from there into Amsterdam city. It’s much easier to park your car outside the city and use the fast and efficient public transport from there!
Wishing to explore Rotterdam and the Hague in the south-west of the country as well?
- these cities are also just 90-120 minutes away. Again, travelling times from our region to these cities is faster than from many other parts of the country, as the highway network via Zwolle to Utrecht has lighter traffic.
We want you to have a wonderful and memorable vacation!
- It is our pleasure to be of assistance to you before and during your stay, and it is our priority to make sure that you will have a pleasant vacation.
We are happy to offer any help on preparing your trip. Please email with any questions you may have!
- non smoking only
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- children welcome
- wheelchair inaccessible
- pets considered
Guestbook comments from the owner
Dear David & Monique, Thanks for everything. We have had a great time again just as we did last year. We had bikes for two days and we went on a 30km bike ride. Thankyou again, Charlotte, Jenny, Andrea, Julie, Ben, Rob, Dave x"
David & Monique Samson
Greetings from Diever! We are David and Monique Samson. In 2004 we decided to relocate our family to peaceful rural Drenthe, one of the most beautiful parts of the Netherlands.
In the small village of Diever we found the perfect location to begin a vacation home: restaurants and shops at walking distance, as well as two National Parks close by (including the largest area of moorland in Europe).
The many attractions in the area and the outstanding natural beauty of South-West Drenthe are here for all to enjoy. Not forgetting the forests, lakes, dunes, hiking & riding trails, parks for the kids, the many museums & places of historic interest, as well as the ease of reaching the surrounding towns and cities.