Cute house in a good location
Submitted: July 17, 2012
Stayed: August 2012
We rented this house for my husband's 40th birthday and had a total of 4 couples staying there.
It was the first time to Catalina for many of us and we ended up having a very nice weekend.
If you are staying in Avalon, this place is very centrally located and it takes 5-15 minutes to get anywhere you may want to go.
We walked up to the botanical garden and Wrigley Memorial and it only took about 15 minutes. Well worth the walk and good for some exercise.
Some points of interest to consider regarding this house:
1) The owner is very nice and communicative
2) The rental price seems very fair
3) The kitchen is adequately stocked for cooking and the grocery store is one block away
4) The caretaker is easy to reach and will deliver food/groceries and can coordinate golf cart rentals
5) There are 2 units on the property. The back unit (which we rented) seems to be a bit quieter. The houses are packed on top of each other in the neighborhood and you can hear your neighbor cough. Just a heads up on that. At night, it was pretty quiet. The front unit is right on the street and probably gets more of the street noise.
6) We had 8 adults. I highly recommend that 6 be the max number of adults. The hide-a-bed should not be used by adults. Kids, maybe. The couple in our group that had the hide-a-bed went home a day early because they could not hack it another night.
7) The house is very new compared to many of the surrounding homes. There are some maintenance items that should probably be attended to (for example several light bulbs being burned out, the upstairs toilet running if you don't move the handle just right, shower door handle missing). They are small items but seem to be pretty easy fixes to make a more complete environment.
8) Be aware there is no internet in the house but it is available at many locations nearby
Overall, it was a very positive rental experience and I would go back. 6 people max unless there are kids or contortionists in your party. The owner is great and helped make the experience a nice one with her ease of communication and recommendations. I was a little sketchy on having to send a check ahead of time (as opposed to using Paypal) but, in the end, there was nothing to worry about.
Tourists without a Car,
Families with Young Children
Did you find this review helpful?