|Minimum Stay||7 nights|
Secluded, open-plan, large, comfortable log home, with warm wood-beamed and cathedral ceilings, full-length deck, 3 bedrooms with double beds and one queen-size bed, open loft with reading nook, upstairs and downstairs baths and bedrooms, fully equipped kitchen, dishwasher, washer-dryer, WiFi, DVD, DirectTV, futon sofas sleep extras, Vose upright piano. Indoor and outdoor dining with gas grill, charcoal grill. Private wooded lot with ample parking and room for boat trailers. Centrally located on Mt Desert Island with Acadia National Park’s scenic views, swimming, hiking, boating, biking, kayaking. Central to picturesque Somesville, Bar Harbor with its shopping and night life, Southwest Harbor, Northeast Harbor with their libraries, museums, churches, groceries, and shopping. Fresh and saltwater boat launches and rentals nearby. 2 miles from ADK camp.
Hiking: Favorite hikes include
1) Beach Mountain, the nearest mountain to Ledgeview, with great views, some scrambling up ledge, but enjoyed by even 3 or 4 year olds. Moderate difficulty
2) The South Bubble, about a 25-minute climb up stairsteps built into the mountainside with great views of Jordan Pond and out to sea.
3) Gorge trail up Mt. Cadillac
4) Walk to Jordan Pond along carriage road then have popovers and tea
Swimming & paddling: Our favorite swimming areas are:
1) Long Pond, about 1 1/2 miles from Ledgeview, where there is a roped-off swimming area with float, near the dock and ramp where rental canoes and kayaks can be put in from the rental place across the road from the swimming area. Wildlife includes ducks, loons, and eagles nesting in the next bay around the point. Porta potty but no changing booths
2) Echo Lake, including the beach area at the end toward SW Harbor, with lifeguards, toilets, changing rooms, foot rinser, ramp for wheelchairs; for adults or older children who are good swimmers, the bluffs are a favorite spot because children like to jump or dive into the water from the rocky shore. About 3 miles. There is a Park public toilet at the edge of the parking area (for Acadia Mountain)
3) Sand Beach, a must, but suitable for wading only without a wet suit, except on hot August days. Requires an Acadia Park pass to reach the beach, unless you find the back roads to a nearby parking area.
Peaceful pursuits: Garden enthusiasts will like
1) the Azalea Garden in Northeast Harbor, modeled after Japanese gardens, beautiful in any season even when the azaleas and rhododendrons are past.
2) Thuya Garden, Northeast harbor, with wooden gates carved by Charles Savage.
Check with the Park information center for dates and times then the Rockefeller garden is open, near Seal Harbor.
There are often paying garden tours on a Saturday afternoon, with visits to a number of homes.
Concerts. There is a lot of music available in the summer months, including a jazz festival, a chorale (usually early August at the Episcopal Church in Bar Harbor), and delightful (and free) band concerts in the park in Bar Harbor, Monday and Thursday at peak season.
We are college professors who love working with our hands as well as teaching and leading young people to gain international, intercultural understanding. Dick has studied both the oral folklore of the Island -- the tall-tale tradition -- and the social and geographical design features of the lobster-boat building tradition.
Lora Lunt purchased this house in 1986
We built this house with our own hands to be a gathering place for family and friends. The youngest builder was 10-year old niece, Clair, the oldest grandfather George, age 81.
We love the quiet of the deck in the woods, the warm feel of the wood of the house around us, the easy access to Park swimming and boating areas and hiking trails, and for some the shopping and evening entertainment.
Mount Desert island offers is home to one of the loveliest national parks in the country, featuring hiking on mountain trails and carriage roads, swimming and boating in lakes and the ocean, and cycling on safe trails or on Ocean Drive, while offering the fun of night life and shopping in Bar Harbor or outlets in Ellsworth. Museums offer insight into the history and natural history of the Island. Summer events include a jazz festival and a summer chorale, parades and art shows.
Other Activities: Gardens
Golf: Mt Desert Island has three golf courses: in Northeast Harbor, Southwest Harbor and Bar Harbor.
Ski: The miles and miles of carriage roads in Acadia National Park are ideal for cross-country skiing when there is snow.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
Jun 24 - Sep 15
|Cleaning over $100||$1 + Tax|
Please inquire for rate information.
Monthly rate for extended 'winter' rentals $725/month
Reservation cost: 1/2 week's rent.
Reservation confirmation: due 1 month in advance, to include the rest of the rent, 8% Maine tax, + damage deposit ($500) returnable if no damage or excessive cleaning costs (more than $100)
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.