Northey Island is in the Blackwater Estuary - 2 miles by road from Maldon and a mile at high tide from Heybridge - a fun excursion to the pubs by either sailing or rowing dinghy. The island is approached by car across a causeway - the site of the Battle of Maldon in 991 commemorated in the famous poem. This causeway is covered by sea for four hours out of every twelve.
There are only two houses on the island; the caretakers' cottage and the house which is available for holiday letting. This is an unusual house built by a previous owner, Sir Norman Angell, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, in the 1920's who was great uncle to the present tenants. Sir Norman's nephew gave the island to the National Trust in 1975 to be preserved as a Grade 1 Site of Special Scientific Interest, and the family retains the use of the house also making it available for chosen lets.
The house is built like a tower. Northey Island is totally secluded being about 60 acres at high tide and 400 acres at low tide. Access by the general public is limited, being only by appointment to those whose interests are scientific or educational. Apart from the house and grounds, the 60 acres comprise farmland. The rest is saltmarsh with masses of bird life (Brent Geese from Siberia over winter on the island). There are walks around the sea walls and in the creeks at low tide, the latter being excitingly muddy for the young!
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency () unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.