|Minimum Stay||5 nights|
This Hawaiian style home new to vacation rentals situated on a 1/2 acre of fully landscaped yard, with a patio/deck and pool. Enjoy the unique experience of traditional Hawaiian style architecture that replaces glass windows with screens and walls with views. Enjoy the open air that drifts through the house, the calming noises of the crashing waves, birds chirping and peacefulness of the Bay. Walk down the steps to the pool and light the Tiki torches, enjoying your cocktails, pupu (appetizers) or dinner next to the pool while watching the sunset.
There are great views from all areas of the home. Keep in touch by high speed internet. Privacy, gourmet kitchen, washer/dryer and space to relax.
It is a short walking distance to where you can kayak over to Captain Cook's monument to swim or Snorkel during the day (The monument has been rated one of the top snorkeling spots in Hawaii). Take a short drive to the City of Refuge, a Hawaiian historical site 4 miles south. Or simply lay out by the pool or at one of the nearby beaches. For additional activities and places to see, scroll down to the map and activities section.
Keywords: 2 Story Single Family Large 4 Bedroom (+ Office) Luxury / Luxurious Hawaiian Ocean View Home / House with Private Pool
We live in California 1/2 of the year and in Hawaii the balance of the year. We came across some property that was too good to pass up and we recently finished a spec home at Hokulia four miles north of the Kealakekua Bay house. We have since moved into the new home. We love the Pagoda House and have many great memories. We are happy when our guests have such a great time in our house and share such nice comments either online or in a personal email.
The Owner purchased this house in 2000
The home was well built and located across the street from the Bay but needed work. After two remodels, the place is first class, all appliances are top of the line, everything has been updated and refreshed. It is located where Hawaiian Royalty lived and the Kona coffee grows. With friends and family living in the area, we visited Kealakekua Bay often. We fell in love with the peacefulness, the birds, the greenery, the slower Hawaiian lifestyle. It is such a tranquil place to get away from the hustle and bustle of life. When the house came on the market, we saw such potential with the location and the property. While we have moved north of the Bay to a new golf community, we are sad to leave, but we get to come back and enjoy the property between our valued guests whenever we want.
The key benefit to this home is your ability to relax and enjoy Hawaii, while being offered so many options of things to do. One of the very unique features of the Pagoda House is the traditional Hawaiian architecture where nearly every place that normally would have a window, has been built with high quality screens, allowing a unique experience that so many people comment on and enjoy! There is a beautiful garden to enjoy, you can use the outdoor shower (a unique experience all by itself) and enjoy the sunset from the balcony. There is a BBQ next to the pool and you can enjoy the evening ambiance under the light of the burning Tiki torches. If you need a break from relaxation, there are a number of outdoor activities within walking distance. You can Kayak, Snorkel, Swim (with the dolphins), Hike or 'rock-hop' around the various ocean side state parks. There are plenty of cultural, historical and even religious monuments, places of interest and ancient ruins nearby that will educate you on the history of Hawaii, the significance of Kealakekua Bay and what life was like in old Hawaii.
Pagoda House lived up to and beyond our expectations! Thank you for the added bonus of the flowers and fruit. We enjoyed them tremendously. It is hard to leave, particularly for those of us going home the cold and snow. Hope to be back next year. Kayaking, snorkeling with dolphins and the beautiful coral was fantastic.
Aloha and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Our experience here was the best ever. The house exceeded our expectations. We had everything we needed for our week and were very comfortable. The snorkeling was the best at Capt. Cooks. We got to kayak around the spinner dolphins right by the beach which was the best experience for all of us. We loved the privacy the property allowed. We definitely will recommend this property to our friends and relatives.
From the moment we walked in we were starstruck at it's beauty both inside and out. The welcome basket greatly appreciated especially by our teenagers. The neighbours were far enough away to give us privacy in our Hawaiian oasis but close enough to meet these friendly folks and receive many treats from them ( fresh local honey, fresh vegetables from the community garden and kayak rentals at a great price so that we could have the local spinner dolphins entertain us )... With two families we had plenty of room to be alone or to come together for a meal or a game. The kitchen was a chefs dream and many could work together preparing a meal while others could offer suggestions... The pool was spectacular, the views outstanding and the outdoor shower became the most popular place for everyone to shower by the end of the trip... Thank you Bill and Jennifer for sharing your little slice of heaven with us, we are already speaking of our return. Mahalo :)
This was heaven in Hawaii! Would recommend this to anyone. Step into your ideal Hawaii vacation by staying here!
Our family of six stayed at the Pagoda House for the week of Christmas and had a great time. The house was even better than portrayed in the pictures with gorgeous grounds, plenty of space, and was extremely well stocked with the basics. Enjoy sitting out by the pool with the BBQ and tiki torches! Try the snorkeling trip with Kona Boys in Kealakekua Bay. Even though the Big Island is large, you can cover it all from this location with some planning and it is always pleasant to come home to after a day on the island to watch the sunsets. Highly recommend Volcano National park, South point, the Punalu'u Bake Shop and the Kau coffee mill, Black and Green beaches, Hilo and Mauna Kea, and Makalawena Beach. This was a Christmas we won't forget!
We had a great time at the Pagoda House. Things you might like to know:
1. The house is huge. You will have all the room you need.
2. There are bugs because the front side of the house is all screens. It is like you are in a huge lanai. People will either like this, or not, because of the indoor bugs and geckos. We liked it. Sort of like glamping (glamorous camping).
3. The bay is right there. Like others, we rented sea kayaks and not only saw dolphins, but also whales. There is a little place where you can rent kayaks just to the south. Take the second road to your right. We were the first ones out in the morning and were able to paddle up near the humpback whales. They did a deep dive and showed us their tails just like in the pictures. Very cool and only $50 per double kayak. We did the snorkeling and the dolphins that day, too.
4. The big cane spiders are harmless but scary looking. We had three show up in the various bedrooms.
5. The last miles to the house are via a very curvy road. It was a bit of a chore to drive that road.
6. The noises we heard at night and early dawn included dogs barking, feral cats fighting, roosters crowing, and birds at dawn. Some of these were not a problem, but others we could have done without. You can't shut these noises out because the windows are screens.
7. The owners provided a huge gift basket for us upon arrival. We really appreciated that.
8. The owners request that you don't move the furniture, however it was March and the NCAA basketball tournament was being played. There were times that we wanted to watch TV. Unfortunately, the TV is at the end of a long room and the couch and chairs were lined up against the walls facing at right angles to the TV. It was impossible to watch the TV without cranking your neck.
9. You are on an island without garbage pickup. You have to take your garbage to the transfer station on a day near your departure.
10. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained.
11. We really enjoyed the pool and the area around it. The pool was great.
12. The bay near the house is pretty rocky at the edges. Good for snorkeling, but not great access for snorkeling. We found a little beach down the first road to the west heading south. You access it between a house and a concrete pad. There, you can safely get into the bay for snorkeling or swimming. Picnic tables and grass is there too.
This is a beautiful house - like having a resort all to yourself. The grounds are beautifully planted, well maintained, and comfortable with feeling of semi-privacy. There are little maintenance issues here and there but in the end they don't detract from the enjoyment experienced staying here. It IS South Kona after all, and it's kind of amazing to find a place this nice that can be rented. We loved the saline pool and the proximity to so many rich adventures in the wilder part of the Island.
We spent a lot of our time at the house. We stopped at Costco and Safeway on our way from the airport and then went up to the Farmers Market in Captain Cook for fresh fruit, eggs, etc. We cooked all our meals with the exception of one day when we took a field trip up to Hapuna to have a beach day and stopped at Huggos in Kailua for dinner on the way back. We have stayed at the Hapuna Prince the last couple years and - as much as I love that place and that beach, this was a much more enjoyable and relaxing time for us.
The house does have a few issues - burned out light bulbs in critical places, we had to buy fuel for the tiki torches, only one steak knife and a limited selection of cookware and utensils, the wireless didn't work when we were there - but that's small potatoes compared to all the positive things about this house.
I highly recommend this for anyone who wants a comfortable relaxing vacation away from the hustle and bustle of the touristy resorts or Kailua town. You can always take a day trip and go spend time in the midst of that. It's amazing to wake up early and listen to all the birds start to wake up - first a couple roosters and then a few chirpy birds. Before too long it's a regular cacophony of calls and warbles. It's a pleasure to fill the bird feeder and watch them all flock to it. Then take a walk over to Kealakekua Bay and watch the dolphins cavort.
I lived in South Kona for a number of years and really enjoy the rural Hawaii experience. The Pagoda House is a great place to have that experience and we can't wait to go back.
Near the sea/ocean/bay, Swimming pool, Washing machine, Dryer, Linen Provided, High Speed Internet access, ., Kayaking, Snorkeling, Nearby Beaches, Nearby Cultural sites, historical preserves and parks, hiking trails and walking. World Class Golf, Deep Sea Fishing, Hiking, Tennis, Hunting, Shopping, Fine Dining, National Parks, Volcano, and Helicopter Tours can all be reached with no more than an hours drive to the farthest activity.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Dec 15 2015 - Mar 31 2016
5 night minimum stay
My Standard Rate
5 night minimum stay
|Refundable damage deposit||$1,000|
|Notes||Deposit: 1/2 the Rent and the Security Deposit. Balance is due 45 days prior to your arrival (Rent, tax and cleaning fee). Security Deposit is refundable after inspection of the property and if no damage and/or loss are reported and the Number of Guests do not exceed the number on the Rental Agreement. 97332991-01|
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.