Good view, but various other issues
Decent house with a great view. Nearby staff limits privacy. I got an ear infection in both ears after swimming in the pool, and suspect it may have been from the lack of sanitizer.
--Nice outdoor eating and deck area.
--Well stocked with cookware, dishes, etc.
--The house comes with a printed guide to Montezuma, including maps and details on restaurants, activities, etc.
--Staff is very friendly.
--Water pressure and hot water were intermittent.
--Washer and dryer were non-functioning, and not hooked up (although the staff volunteered to do laundry for us).
--Exterior doors did not lock (there were three safes to store valuables).
--The internet access is very slow, not at all "high speed".
--Staff is very close by, living in a house just below Chez Mu. They do not speak any English. They come by frequently when you are away from the house (rather than at a specific fixed time every day).
--I got an ear infection in both ears on the last day of my visit. We checked the pool with the test strips in the house, and they came up blank for chlorine/bromine sanitizer. When the pool sanitation issue was brought up with the owner, he said that they do everything "by the book".
Owner's Response: We appreciate all feedback from our guests. We aim to continuously improve the villa, as the partners David, Luis and I also use the house very often with our families and friends. Between October 2012 and January 2013 we invested in significant upgrades to the house addressing all of Jonathan's concerns, and many more improvements:
- We installed a new water pump system for higher pressure and more constant hot water. We also now also have a private well, so unlike most of Malpais, Sta Teresa and Montezuma, we have a reliable source of fresh water especially in the very dry season
- We have installed a new rail system for the terrace doors, and changed all locks. We also have solar-powered motion-activated flood lights in the exterior, and of course the digital safety boxes in each bedroom. These are just precautions, as luckily the area continues to be extremely safe.
- The Internet service was not properly programmed. We’ve upgraded the router, and now have a reliable 1.5 Mbit/s connection. A free Skype phone is also available.
- The housekeepers typically do the cleaning when guests head out to the beach. If you have a specific time you would like them to come by, just let them know.
- The pool continues to function perfectly. Jonathan was unfortunate to visit in May 2012, when there was an unusual “red tide” contamination off the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. Local newspapers warned of the potential irritation to skin, ears, throat and eyes. Please look up the report in La Nacion on April 4th, 2012, available at the web site: nacion.com/2012-04-05/AldeaGlobal
Also among the many other improvements: marble floors throughout the house (including anti-slip in the terrace), bathrooms totally redone, electrical system upgrades, etc.
Helpful votes: 1/1
Did you find this review helpful?