Submitted: July 12, 2012
Stayed: June 2012
We rented this house over July 4th 2012, and while the house was very large and could accommodate our group of 10 very comfortably, there were some pretty big issues that we had with the house that would make us hesitate to book again in the future.
1) Air conditioning. The main floor of the house is huge, and it's where the kitchen, living area, and dining area are located. The A/C on this floor was not working. It was a hot week in Ptown (especially for July), and the entire floor averaged 78-85 degrees everyday. It was very uncomfortable, even with the windows open, and became even hotter when we cooked in the kitchen. I should note the A/C in the bedrooms worked very well.
2) The house advertises that it can accommodate 12-14 people, but the general living area was sparse in terms of seating. There was only one couch, and a dining table that could only seat 6-8 people comfortably. There were 10 of us, and we were never able to sit and socialize or eat together (although it being 85 degrees in there, we might not have hung out there anyway). The space is huge, and can easily have more soft seating and a much larger table, and event bar stools at the kitchen island. The entire common area felt very unfinished and thrown together.
3) The roof deck, which is shown in the pictures, was not accessible and was locked when we arrived without explanation. One of the main attractions to the house was the roof so we could BBQ and watch the fireworks, and we were unable to do that. It was really disappointing.
We actually referred friends to the house for the following week (bear week), and I based on our experience, I regret sending them there. Hopefully the glitches will be fixed before next summer.
Owner's Response: 1. This House is a 5000 square foot 3 level home. In the Lower level there are 3 bedrooms, a kitchen and a Full Bath, Living room with sofa chairs, and Dining room with seating for 6.
On the Upper level, there is another 3 bedrooms and 2 Full baths. There is also a loft with acces to the Widows Walk. The Main entrance has a Kitchen and 2 seperate living areas, as well as dining area. In each of the livin areas, 7 persons can sit comfortably, This guest was seeking to have all 14 individuals in their party to stay in one area, and my house was not designed for this purpose.
2. Airconditioning. The house is relatively new (4 years old) and has 5 zones, unfortunately, the zone on the main level was not working. However, the guest never informed me that there was a problem with the airconditioner. The guest did inform me that there was a problem with the wifi, and comcast was able to fix the problem in 15 minutes from their central site. The guest has a duty to inform the owner of a problem so he can repair it, this the guest did not do.
3. The roofdeck. 4th of July week in provincetown is known for its partying with alcohol/Drugs in excess. I use my best judgement who to allow access to this area on the roof, and I decided to keep the roof locked. This guest indicates that he wanted to barbecue on this area, which would have not only be risky to their own safety and others below, but illegal.
I have been renting this house for 4 years now, and have numerous guests who return year after year, I had a grandmother who wrote to me that she likes Provincetown, But loves this House. Others who indicate that the size of the Bathrooms are the size of their whole apartments.
When you look at the pictures you see the Furnishings. The Dining room is from Cabor House, designed by Barbara Barry. The Sofa is made by Century. The Bed in the Master Bedroom is from Ralph Lauren, with a Ritz Carlton Feather Bed.
I am an Attorney in Massachusetts, and I take the rental of my Vacation Home Seriously. This guest attempted to turn my home into a party house, and that is not its intended use.
Helpful votes: 4/4
Did you find this review helpful?