Creepy Cameras and Poor Listing Representation
We were disappointed and left early to move to another location which had much more value. We were a family of five that had two ball players staying at Dreams Park. We are experienced VRBO owners and users and my wife works in the travel industry.
My family (children especially) felt very uncomfortable with the number of cameras all over the property. And if that were not enough the signs reminding you that your being watched were strange! This NEEDS to be disclosed in the AD if you're going to be so over the top on it.
Also very unappreciative of the note left for us accusing us of washing team laundry in the laundry room? Cameras didn't get it right this time. You might respond that it was team laundry but it was our sons laundry!
The photos of the home... focus only on the basement part of the home. This is the "renter area". This was not clear to us in the ad or when we booked it. Very steep dangerous stairs to the unit and to the laundry room (not to building code). We do not recommend to an elderly person as my parents couldn't stay here.
During our stay the owners were home 80% of the time which is fine so long as your an early riser and don't mind the squeaky floors above you. Ironically they did tell us to let them know if they were too noisy. We quickly found this to be lip service; as when we requested other items such as additional beach towels or a cooler; the landlord was put off to provide such amenities but with persuasion she finally did.
The bathroom is tiny! One person at a time and if you're a large person its difficult to shower in it. I'm 6 foot; 170 lbs and I burned myself trying to get out of the way of the shower hot water. Its about 2 and half feet square to stand in.
King size bed is very old, as are much of the items in the apartment. Everything is done on the cheap and old but clean.
Reducing the spying and putting some quality living items in the home you will have a gem for a couple or a maybe two couples. Updating both TVs with HD, a comfortable new mattress, and advertise for what it is... 3-4 people with a couples retreat being the ultimate; than you would have great representation of the property.
Attention to customer service would go a long ways also. Understanding the some folks do travel across the county and they don't bring everything from home. The lake is beautiful unfortunately we never could relax with reminder notes, liability forms being signed mid week and the hovering.
Owner's Response: We chose not to ask renters for a retraction and let their posting stand as is. Apologies for the lengthy response, but necessary to get the ‘whole picture’.
1. Party of 5 not disclosed upon reserving. That’s over our limit so I wouldn’t have booked it.
2. Renters advised of ‘Outdoor’ cameras protecting our property as all guests are. Cameras focus on the driveway, walkways, boating equipment and laundry room. Installed for the protection of guests and personal property under the recommendation insurance co. 2 signs posted just like ADP posts on every home they protect – to discourage anyone from doing illegal things or having numerous guests, or boating without life jackets, etc.
3. Renters left 1 day before their reservation date,Thursday. They make it sound like they left early in the week. Not so.
4. Saw someone we didn’t know (NOT family member) w/ gym bag doing laundry in our private laundry room! When we brought that to their attention, they were offended.
5. Stairs to laundry room are original from when the house was built. Normal wooden stairs w/ linoleum tiles. We pass a safety inspection every yr. Permits & certificates posted in the apt.
6. Shower – if you don’t know enough to test the water before you get in, not my fault. Normal size stall. Guess he thinks he’s bigger than he is. No previous complaints.
7. No prev. complaints about bed-(new 3 yrs.) or the furnishings. New queen pull out sofa bed, new futon. End tables & dressers are not new.
8. What–a 42” flat screen HDTV not large big for you?
9. How is it possible that we work a 40+ hr/wk + communte & are there 80% of the time?
10. Never complaints of upstairs noise. Installed insulation between floors when the apartment was constructed.
11. And, unfortunately, we ask guests to sign that they are aware of rules like ‘No Team Parties’, No Pets, No Smoking, wearing life jackets, etc. Insurance company recommendations again. Nothing out of the ordinary. We have awesome neighbors and need to respect their environment as well. These renters would not sign on day of arrival-so we had to ask twice more to get the form back from them.
12. We have been renting out our apartment for over 4 yrs-(57 rentals). Met wonderful people from all over the world. Never had a rental experience like this one.
Felt like the guest was trying to run the rental, not the owner ! Give us a try – you won’t be disappointed. Respectfully, Nancy & John
Helpful votes: 3/3
Did you find this review helpful?