*** LOTS MORE PHOTO'S - Scroll down to 'LINKS TO MORE INFORMATION' just below the 'Owners Profile' section ****
An enchanting, updated 1940's era year-round riverfront cottage - just park the car and walk to 'everything' in the quaint village of Thornbury, (2 hr from Toronto / 10 min from Blue Mountain 'Village at Blue' resort)
We carefully renovated this unique property to preserve its authentic, vintage feel, while packing it with today's 'must have' features!
- Secluded master suite with walkout to deck, ensuite bath with heated slate floor
- 2 additional bedrooms on the other side of the cottage, sharing a 2nd bright bathroom
- Immaculately clean, sunny kitchen with butcher-block-topped island open to living / dining area
- Cozy wood-burning stove
- Shed with power and workbench for ski-tuning, bike storage
- Walkout from living room to west deck (gorgeous sunsets)
- Quality casual furnishings Eg. leather storage ottomans, solid oak dining table, etc.
- Propane BBQ ... AND ... outdoor brick fire pit for toasting marshmallows
Our guests agree the place 'cuddles up' to you in a way 'new-builds' simply can't !
PERFECT location right in town - walk to 'casual elegant' restaurants, pubs, bakery, cheese gallery, fair trade coffee shop, liquor/beer store, pharmacy, TD bank, grocery store, shops, antique market, local artist galleries, etc.
Simply enjoy the cottage or get outside and:
- FISH the Beaver River from your backyard
- BIKE the 35 km Georgian Trail 1 min. from your door
- WALK the river bank to the fish ladder, dam and mill pond (5min. )
- SWIM from Little River Park beach or off the harbor pier, 5 min. walk
- PLAY TENNIS at Bayview Park public courts, basically 'across the street' 2 min. walk
- LISTEN to free 'Jazz in the Park' on Sunday evenings ( 2 min. walk) at Bayview Park
- SAIL Georgian Bay from the harbour across the footbridge, 2 min. walk
- BROWSE /BUY local artists work in 'arts-burg' (Clarksburg), 5 min. drive
- GOLF Lora Bay's Raven or several other courses nearby, 10 min. drive
- HIKE the Bruce Trail, 15 min. drive
- ROCK climb, SPELUNK, MOUNTAIN or ROAD BIKE the Niagara Escarpment
- SKI / SHRED/ TUBE the Blue Mountain (Village at Blue 15 min.; Georgian Peaks private ski club is 7 min. drive)
- ENJOY variety of events at 'Village at Blue' resort * 15 min. drive
- EXPERIENCE equestrian events at Cedar Run (5 min. drive)
Typically you must be in a condo 'cheek by jowl' with others if you want to be close to everything ....
OR you have to drive everywhere, if you want the privacy and seclusion of waterfront.
This little cottage offers both, with the added bonus of a cozy vintage vibe!
* The Village at Blue is a multi-million-$, year-round resort offering skiing, snow boarding and tubing, Xtreme mountain biking, golf, rock climbing wall, nearby Scandanavie spa, year-round water play area and more. Hotels, restaurants, shops of all kinds in a pedestrian village. Check the events every week Eg.outdoor concerts, art shows, sports events and demonstrations, movie nights, etc. on the VILLAGEATBLUE website
*** SLIDE SHOW AVAILABLE *** SCROLL DOWN TO 'Links to more information' just above the Owners Profile section ****
THANKS for looking!
Keywords: Cottage / House / Thornbury / Collingwood / walking / bike / Georgian Trail
****** SKI SEASON RATE ********
Dec1,2014 - Mar31, 2015 $ 8,000 plus utilities
(hydro, gas, water/sewer, plus at your option landline phone and Bell Expressvu satellite)
Hello, I live in Toronto with my husband, Tom and our dog, Teddy. I work from my home office for a large US company; Tom is the Canadian distributor for a niche musical instrument and accessories company.
We've had a log house outside Thornbury - under 2 hr from Toronto - for nearly 20 years and have seen the area gradually be 'discovered' by developers, because it offers so much as a year-round recreational area and is a popular active retirement choice.
We snapped up this little cottage because its location is PERFECT: in town, on the water. Being an original 1940's cottage on pricey waterfront, its probable fate was to be a tear-down, but I love saving 'character ' homes ...
so instead, we spent $40K to update it - while respecting its nostalgic, cottage charm - with a view to eventually using it ourselves when we're ready to move in town from the log house 1 acre property we use ourselves now.
Everyone loves the place - see for yourself: I took lots of pics of the cottage and what you'll find within a 10 min. walk (up the river bank to the fish ladder, the yacht harbour, parks, beaches, shops and pubs in town, etc.) Take a look! *** Click 'LINKS TO MORE INFORMATION', just above this 'Owners Profile' section ***
The view from the deck, the vintage 'vibe' of this little cottage and being able to park the car and walk to everything really helps you unwind and relax in a way no granite-countered, gas-fireplaced condo can! You're back to a time of simple pleasures ... the warmth of a wood fire you built yourself, the colourful sunset from your deck chair, the sound of wind in the rigging of sailboats across the river in the harbour, the sweetness of an apple picked in your front yard....
Small town village life and year-round outdoor activities are literally at your doorstep, BUT you're also minutes from Village at Blue resort. So while you can walk to the fair trade coffee shop, bakery, cheese gallery, local shops and restaurants, you're also just a 10 min. drive (or 30 min. bike ride) to a Starbucks, high end boutique shops, hotels and events.
In terms of layout: Even though it's small, we ensured the master suite was secluded (on the kitchen side of the cottage away from the other 2 bedrooms and bath) and has its own walkout to the deck, so the 'master' can make coffee in the morning or a cocktail in the evening and step outside, without disturbing the rest of the household.
... AND oh did I mention? It's THE cutest waterfront, in-town property :)
The Blue Mountain resort area of South/Central Ontario boasts year-round outdoor activities and offers a range from 'upscale resort' to 'unspoiled small town' experience.