Stay in the most historic and visited neighborhood in Berkeley, in one of its most impeccably renovated Victorians! Just steps from the popular tourist destination Fourth Street where shopping, boutiques, and restaurants abound, enjoy the oldest neighborhood in Berkeley. Oceanview, with historic landmark homes and businesses.
OCEANVIEW: Oceanview has it all – artists’ lofts, open studios, quaint cafes, landmark Victorian homes, high end boutiques, retail outlets, many restaurants and eateries, the Berkeley Marina, Aquatic Park, Peet’s Coffee, Scharffenberger chocolate factory, the Wooden Duck, Studio Grow a huge children's indoor playspace, a Vivarium and much, much more.
MITCHELL HOUSE: this sunny upstairs flat in an 1896 Victorian is an amazing residential space to meet your vacationing needs. The space has 12 foot ceilings, floor to ceiling recessed bay windows, hardwood oak floors, and curved moldings and woodwork.
The flat has been renovated with sustainable and 'green' methods and materials. Original lathe and plaster walls have been maintained and filled with cotton denim insulation. Zero-voc ecopaints in custom mixed vintage colors were used through out the rooms. Many vintage fixtures and hardware were restored and retained; where missing, Victorian woodwork was found salvaged and incorporated with custom carpentry. Zero-voc grout sealant and caulk were used in the bathroom and kitchen custom tilework. Only non toxic cleaners and products are used by housekeeping. Guests can feel good personally and ethically about the methods used to remodel and maintain this space.
- Remodeled great room with sitting and eating area, Victorian galley kitchen with new high-end appliances, filtered water spout, custom cabinetry and refurbished antique Wedgewood stove.
- One large bedroom has new king size bed, down alternative comforter, high count organic cotton sheets, and walk-in closet.
- One smaller bedroom/office has substantial desk space with Dell computer equipped for use, scanner/copier, fax machine, flat screen monitor and high speed internet. A brand new firm suspension queen size bed pulls out with a down feather bed, comforter and high-end organic linens.
- The quaint vintage bathroom was redone to include a 2 person soaking tub surrounded by imported Victorian art tile, 3 shower heads (including a rain soaker) and polished nickel fixtures.
- Entire apartment furnished and decorated with comfortable period pieces, new flat panel TV with DVD and free cable, high speed wireless internet, IPOD/CD player sound system and free dedicated local phone line.
- A small private deck off the upstairs offers a sunny outdoor spot for morning coffee or watching the sunset over a glimpse of Mount Tam.
- Large, sunny, level backyard with sculpted lawn, custom built sandbox and deep planter box perimeter, scented flowers and vines: lavender, honeysuckle, jasmine, wisteria and fruit trees: apple, plum, apricot, walnut and blueberries. Mermaid fountain rests on handcut flagstone patio. Birdfeeders and birdbaths attract hummingbirds, cardinals, bluebirds, finches and a quartet of friendly parrots - bright green and red who neighbors believe broke from the famous 'Telegraph Hill' gang.
We have equipped the flat with everything you need – don’t pack too much – as we provide the flat with dedicated Eco friendly soaps, shampoos, toiletries, as well as a DVD and reading library, towels, linens, kitchen ware, etc.
The IDEAL LOCATION:
We are happy to offer information on local eateries, sights and shopping. We are also happy to guide you in any search for child friendly or pet friendly activities and businesses.
Perfect for a quiet romantic stay, a stimulating visit with friends or family , a focal spot for sightseeing trips to Napa, San Francisco, Sausalito, Muir Woods, and UC Berkeley.
We are a 3 minute drive and fifteen minute walk to the North Berkeley BART Station with easy access to all San Francisco, Oakland and other Bay Area destinations. We are just off the main Berkeley exit of Interstate 80, University Avenue, which both leads directly to the Bay Bridge into San Francisco or up to the entrance of the University of California campus. And we are 3 blocks away from the most visited area of Berkeley - the Fourth Street district with unique and coveted shopping, art and food.
Our friends and those who have stayed here so far have raved about the space. It's truly unique. This is not someone's converted attic with slanted ceilings. This is a full story of a two unit Eastlake Victorian with lots and lots of light and scenery. It's the sunniest, prettiest spot you’ll find to stay in Berkeley’s buzzing Oceanview district – don’t miss out!
Keywords: House/Upper Flat