Renters BEWARE - You get what you pay for.
Submitted: November 29, 2012
Stayed: June 2012
I have used VRBO 8 different times when renting properties and even though the owner was very cordial to work with during the rental process, I can honestly say that this rental was by far the most disappointing experience. We rented this condo during the summer of 2012 and I would not rent it again nor would I recommend it to others unless some serious changes are made.
1) Upon our arrival the condo was unclean (dusty, the stove and microwave dirty/greasy surfaces, some dishes in the cupboard were unclean as well, and entire condo had an unpleasant odor).
2) My 1st day was spent loading all of the dishes and silverware into the dishwasher and cleaning/sterilizing them prior to our use.
3) I had to go to the grocery store to purchase deodorizers, lysol disinfecting cleaner/wipes and actually wiping down all surfaces throughout the condo (kitchen, livingroom, bathrooms and bedrooms) before we felt comfortable enough to sleep there.
4) The fountains were not functioning in the lake areas; therefore, the mosquitos were horrendous!
5) There was a group of teenagers from some sports tournament in the pool area. They were throwing one another in the pool and swimming fully dressed. Their behavior was that of being rude and aggressive. Several of them kept sitting at our table, putting their feet on the table and when asked simply stared at us in such a threatening manner that we had to leave the pool area completely. I called security to report the issue and they did very little. Another condo owner came to me and apologized saying that he would report the situation to the condo association; however, we were so concerned that we packed up and left a day early. I certainly hope that the association acted on this situation appropriately and that they contacted all of the owners in this complex.
Owner's Response: Wow... Quite the surprise seeing this review. We honestly don't understand why someone would not bother calling us, the owners, to tell us that there was an apparent problem with the cleaning job done after the last tenants. Had this renter called us (we gave our personal number before the rental) we could have had the cleaners come out to take care of any issues, although given the years of other renters and the 5 star comments we have received, I suppose it may be that this renter has VERY high standards.
To make clear, we keep our condo inexpensive since all we really would like to do is have it support itself with the Home Owner's Association fees and other expenses (like replacing the AC 2 months ago). Our property managers also rent in the same complex with the same condo set up for more than twice we charge per night. Our condo is cleaned and serviced in the exact same way as the Property Manager's condo, so we were a bit shocked with this review knocking us for charging so little. They could have stayed in one of the other condos for more than twice the cost for the exact same condo. Sometimes we wonder if we should just raise our prices, but since we are not trying to make money on it, we have not done so.
With respect to the other complaints. I am afraid we have no control over the other renters at the complex. Unfortunately, if you go to Florida and stay at a complex, there is always a chance that there will be some teenagers around. I honestly don't know what this renter wanted us to do about the issue they apparently had at the pool.
Also, I thought this was obvious, but depending on the weather and the time of year, you WILL run into mosquitos in Florida. We are sorry that this renter had a problem, but had they called us with any complaints, we would have had our property managers take care of them, but unfortunately, they did not contact us, and our first notice of their complaint was this review.
Please read our other reviews, which hopefully will give a more accurate view of the condo.
Did you find this review helpful?