In the fabled Peloponnese! Just 3 1/2 hours from Athens and you're in the the charming port town of Gythion. Twenty minutes more and you're in mythical Mani and the little village of Konakia.
Thick hewn-stone walls, cypress beams, bamboo ceilings, wide-plank pine floors, terra-cotta tile roof--our grandfather Barba Yorgo's house has all the elements of a traditional country house in the Mani but with the convenience of up-to-date plumbing and wiring, and modern appliances--even a washer-dryer and terrific water pressure! There are verandas and balconies, outdoor tables and umbrellas, a barbecue, a vegetable garden and an olive grove--a perfect getaway for families, writers, artists . . . you name it.
From the verandas and windows of Barba Yorgo's house you look out on the little village of Konakia and the mountains beyond. The house has two apartments--that comfortably sleep eight--on three floors (please see LINK below to our WEB GALLERY for more photos):
- Ground-floor apartment: queen-size and two single beds, fireplace, full bath.
- Main-floor apartment (one flight up): kitchen, living room (fireplace and ceiling fans), bedroom (queen-size bed and fireplace), full bath.
- Loft: queen-size bed and balcony overlooking Konakia; reached from staircase in main-floor bedroom.
The house is off the beaten track but only a short drive to town, sightseeing, beaches and more:
- Port town of Gythion, with harbor-side seafood tavernas, shops, supermarkets, banking and internet cafes, 12 km (20-min. drive)
- Many coves and beaches (often with amenities) to explore; the nearest beaches (e.g. Mavrovouni, Vathi, Ageranos), only 20 min. away
- Romantic seaside Itilo and Limeni villages, with seafood specialties, 45-min. drive
- Sightseeing to medieval town of Monemvasia, 45-min. drive
- Celebrated Caves of Diro, 45-min. drive
- Famous Maniote 'Tower Towns,' such as Vathia
- Mythical entrance to Hades (there's one at Tenaron, at the very tip of the penninsula)
- Sparta and Medieval Mistras, 1-hr. drive
-Kelepha Castle, 45-min. drive
Take a walk through the countryside, hike up Taygetos mountain, go exploring. Or just hang out at home listening to the crickets and picking blackberries.
Keywords: Stone House
Our grandfather Barba Yorgo. When we were children, we couldn't wait to visit our grandfather every summer. Back then it took 7 hours just to get from Athens to Gythio and then another bumpy hour to Konakia. The property was a working farm, with goats and chickens, and dogs to guard the goats and chickens, and vegetables in the garden for cooking and a donkey for transportation and no electricity or running water or phone. Much has changed (the house has been completely and beautifully renovated and the roads are terrific), but much has not (it's still a magical place--and there is still no phone). We have many fond memories of our days there and hope you will too.
The Owner purchased this villa in 1940