This historic, large carriage barn has been our family retreat for over 20 years. The warmth of the home is undeniable: from the original wood plank floors, to the cozy wood-burning stove, to the kid-friendly upstairs loft, to the breathtaking view of the Green Mountains - you will feel right at home. Our style is Vermont country chic, with comfy couches, quality mattresses, a big kitchen, a jacuzzi tub and all the amenities you could ask for in a house rental, including:
• Wood-burning stove with firewood
• Free wi-fi
• Quality stereo system: a record player with over 100 LPs, iPod hookup
• 3 bathrooms: 2 bathtubs & 3 showers (1 is handicap accessible)
• Large backyard
• Full range of kitchen appliances, cookware and utensils: outdoor gas grill, blender, juicer, griddle, coffee maker, espresso maker, dishwasher
• Outdoor fire pit
• Foosball table
• One bedroom is downstairs, far from the other bedrooms upstairs. Good for those unable to climb stairs.
• Large amount of children's toys, books and games
• Children's items available upon request: highchair, pack n' play, crib
• Baby-proof features: covered electrical outlets, baby gates on stairwells, and safety latches on cabinets with hazardous cleaning products.
• All bedrooms have cable television, and the master bedroom also has a DVD player.
• Cable TV is also in the kitchen and upstairs loft
• Pets are welcome!
Built in 1890 by Robert Todd Lincoln's best friend and law partner, the Edward S. Isham House is only 1.5 miles from the heart of Manchester Village with its charming boutiques and galleries. Walk down the marble sidewalks of Manchester to enjoy excellent restaurants, a wonderful bookstore, perfect cafes, and some of the finest outlet shopping available anywhere. The Isham House is nestled in the valley between the 3,816 foot Mount Equinox and the imposing Green Mountains. From the front door of the Isham House, you can go hiking up and around Mt. Equinox. Within a short drive, you can go biking, kayaking, or fly-fishing on the famous Battenkill River. Located on the main road passable in all weather, the Isham House is only a 10 minute drive from Bromley and 20 minutes away from Stratton ski area. If you prefer, walk around the corner to Hildene -- Robert Todd Lincoln's estate -- and take a tour of its lovely Georgian mansion, or go cross country skiing through its groomed trails and finish with a hot chocolate in its quaint warming hut.
As hosts, we will welcome you as family. We provide you with recommendations for local eats, shops, sights and countless activities.
My husband, Jed, and I live in Nyack, NY - a small town just north of New York City. I am a professional organizer, and Jed teaches English and philosophy at a prep school in the Bronx. We love to hike in Vermont with our standard poodles, Rufus & Bessie, and look for out of the way swimmin' holes. Jed's family has owned the Isham house since 1991, when it was a run-down working barn. Jed's father Bernie good see the building's 'good bones' and renovated it to it's current beauty. We take a tremendous amount of pride and joy in offering it to other families to enjoy.
We converted the Isham House into a home because the area offered us a rare mix of outdoor activities, culture, history, and outlet shopping (!).
You can walk to the trails of Mt. Equinox from the front door. We are on the main road and are only a 5 minute drive from town. The house is large enough to sleep 14 people but cozy enough for a perfect Vermont weekend getaway!
The Historic Edward S. Isham Carriage House sits on Historic Route 7A in the town of Manchester. Because of its rural location, it is sometimes difficult to find the Isham House on GPS or Google maps. To see its exact location, Google 'Ormsby Hill Inn' in Manchester. The Isham House is directly adjacent to the inn (approximately 150 yards to the north).
Other Activities: Canoe and kayaking, Outlet shopping
Golf: There are two remarkable golf courses near the Isham House. Gleneagles, owned by the Equinox Resort, is a links style course that is beautifully maintained. Stratton Mountain also boasts a course that has hosted LPGA events in recent years.
Ski: The Isham House is smack dab in the middle of ski country. Stratton Mountain -- known for its deluxe facilities, gondola to a 4500 foot summit, and sun bowl -- is a 20 minute drive away. Bromley, a resort renowned for the quality of its ski instruction and challenging terrain, is less than 15 minutes from the house. Magic Mountain and Okemo are also options nearby.
Hildene -- adjacent to the Isham House -- offers groomed trails for cross country skiing. Having undergone an extensive renovation on the last few years, Hildene is an excellent destination for those who like to keep their skis on flat ground.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event||Minimum Stay|
My Standard Rate
|Refundable damage deposit||$350.00|
|Please contact owner to confirm rates.
An additional $50 security deposit is required when bringing pets.
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay. Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.