A powerful sense of place calls forth the artist within and says come play, write, paint, create, rest, allow, be.
The cottage lends itself to reflection and renewal and at the same time, everything you could possibly need, including a picnic basket, beach chairs even a beach grill (Carmel allows fires on the beach), is available for those who want to venture out to the beaches, countryside and nearby redwood forests of Big Sur.
The owner once had an Inn in Vermont and special care has been taken to provide many of the same amenities, including a bottle of wine from a local vineyard and hors d'oeuvres upon arrival. The beds have luxury cotton sheets, hypo-allergenic comforters, un-feather beds, oversized towels (on a towel warmer), Spa bathrobes, magazines, wine tasting and much more (see amenities).
Upon entering Sanctuary with its colorful cascading flower boxes, you will find a lovely space with vaulted white ceilings, warm white cottage walls, oak floors, and plenty of windows that allow light and yet are oriented to maintain privacy. On the first floor is the living room with a wood-burning fireplace and gas kindler, and a dining area that seats six - 8 guests and opens to the newly remodeled kitchen.
The kitchen is fully equipped with a professional Viking range and top appliances, unique serving pieces and platters for entertaining. There are numerous cookbooks to browse through including one by the owner, who has written a cookbook filled with great recipes
and stories from her life in Vermont at the Inn at the Round Barn Farm in Waitsfield, Vt.
On the first floor there is a guest bedroom called the birdhouse room with a queen-sized bed that has a white picket fence bed frame and two small bird houses on posts. Just seeing this bed invites you to come nestle under the cozy plush comforter with a good novel and cup of tea.
The media room has two large picture windows overlooking the flower-covered deck and fenced-in back yard (pet and child-friendly). There is a 42-inch HDTV color TV with full cable, video/DVD library, high-speed wireless internet connection and numerous books. There is a trundle twin bed couch that can sleep 2 singles or be made into a king bed with a memory foam topper.
The first floor also has an updated renovated bathroom with subway tiled shower as well as a washer and dryer. There is a wonderful private deck with grill, comfortable furniture and distant ocean views with white water thru the pines making for spectacular Carmel sunsets.
On the upper level is the master bedroom with a king-sized Bed. There is a HDTV with complete cable/video/DVD and a wood-burning fireplace with gas kindler. The vaulted ceilings and tall windows give a sense of spaciousness and the feeling of being in a tree house.
One can catch beautiful sunsets looking toward the ocean. The crisp night air, warm cozy comforters and the sound of the ocean in the distance make for a wonderful night's sleep.
The newly remodeled master bathroom is done in cottage white with butter-cream accents. There are oak floors, a vintage cast-iron bathtub with double rolled edges with distant views out a large picture window to the ocean and privacy from the tall pines.
There is a separate shower with hand-crafted subway tiles, and frame-less glass enclosure, two pedestal sinks, ample storage and a separate water closet this is located inside the master suite. Please note that if a guest is sleeping in the Velveteen Rabbit Room that they would have to walk thru the master suite to access the upstairs bathroom or use the bathroom downstairs below that is accessible off the hallway. There is also a large walk-in closet with plenty of handing space and room to put your suitcases.
The Velveteen Rabbit Room is a small room that has multiple uses. There is a trundle bed that sleeps 1-2 individuals and can be made into a king-size bed. It could be used to sleep children or adults, provide office space, artist's studio or anything else you might imagine.
There is a large second library located on the stairs landing between the master suite and velveteen room that is filled with many inspirational and entertaining books.
Any guest who stays here falls in love with this special cottage by the sea called Sanctuary.
Additional Rate Details and Rental Terms.....
**Rates are based on up to 8 guests (including infants & children). For 9 guests, add $200 per month.
* Accidental Loss and Damage Waiver $75 instead of security deposit (covers up to $2,000 unintentional damage to house or its contents but does not cover negligent abuse or neglect)
* Credit Card number must be on file for security against any damages should damage be due to abuse or neglect and are not accidental in nature. Guest would be responsible for any uncovered damages.
* Non-refundable cleaning fee $400.
* Stays of 30 days or more require mid-stay cleanings every two weeks that you will be responsible for scheduling with our Vacation House Manager assigned to the rental and paying cleaners for directly at the time each cleaning is performed at the rate of $25/hour. This is over and above the cleaning fee itemized in your contract.
* Pet Fees: $100 each large dog (1 dog ); $150 two small dogs; if arranged after acceptance of contract, contract must be amended to adjust price. Must sign Pet Waiver and have Purchased Waiver $75. Owner requests no barking dogs as neighbors will complain.
* PG&E gas and electricity are paid by guest.
* Cancellation Policy: If you cancel 60 days or less before your arrival date, you maybe eligible for a full refund only if we can re-rent the property for the same dates and rental rate less the $150 administration fee and any bank or PayPal fees incurred by the owner. If you cancel 60 days or more before your arrival date, you are eligible for a full refund of the rental amount less the $150 administration fee and any bank or PayPal fees incurred by owner. Please read the full terms in the Rental Agreement before signing for any recent changes to this abbreviated policy statement - the Rental Agreement contains our current policy.
* Full payment is due at time of booking if booked less than 60 days prior to arrival date.
* If booked more than 60 days in advance of arrival date, 50% of total amount is due to secure reservation with balance of total due 60 days prior to arrival date.
* Access information and directions will be provided once payment is made in full.
* This is a 2 story residence so please discuss this with us if anyone in your party has difficulty climbing stairs.
* 3 Cars Maximum, 9 Guests including visitors are maximum allowed at this property.
* Owner requests guests who are quiet and respectful of our neighbors who are close in proximity and our friends. Location of home is in quiet neighborhood.