Verteillac Farmhouse Rental Photos and Description
Magical property with a great sense of peace; 3 to 5 bedrooms can sleep 8
Peace, Tranquillity and Charm -'Deer House' available for vacations or long term rental. An ideal retreat located near Riberac, Dordogne, SW France. Perfect for couples/singles wishing to escape the hussle and bussle of daily life but within easy reach of local villages and towns. Reached by a long track from a wooded country road, situated on it's own nestled into the valley surrounded by it's own land with stunning views over the undulating countryside.
'Deer House' offers a fully equipped centrally heated, three to five bedrooms (2 x double, 1 x twin, 2 x single) centrally heated accommodation;
Large working kitchen with central-island, wood burning stoves, gas cooker, fridge, freezer, dishwasher, laundry room with washing machine. Morning room with TV, CD/ipod player, good selection of DVD's and well stocked bookshelves. Dining room with antique table and chairs, buffet, wood burning fire. French doors from the kitchen lead onto a private terrace with teak table and chairs overlooking it's own lawned garden. Seating and BBQ area surrounded by wild meadow under the shade of oaks. 'Deer House' is run organically with it's own gardener and professional cleaner. Complimentary wine upon arrival and an honesty bar is included. Internet connection. Non smokers and no animals allowed.
Dordogne S.W. France is one of the most beautiful regions in the country. Discover the chateaux, wines, foods of the region, medieval towns, villages, prehistoric caves, just some of the reasons why it attracts visitors from all over the globe.
Think of good wine, fois gras, duck and goose, ceps, walnuts and truffles the basis for memorable holidays.
'Deer House' stands as part of a 17th century property set in a private valley surrounded by undulating countryside in the Dordogne SW France. Deer House is a character property with a sense of calm and privacy offering peace and tranquillity with all modern amenities. Non-smokers and no pets.
'Deer House' is the perfect getaway to relax in or base to explore from whether for two nights or a few weeks,. The house has a homely and some say magical atmosphere and is fully furnished with taste, including the following amenities:
• Large family room/kitchen - with stone fireplace, wood-burning stove, sofa and easy chairs, large kitchen workstation, gas cooker, refrigerator, freezer, dishwasher.
• Separate dining room with wood-burning stove, stone fireplace, antique dining table with seating for six, buffet with tableware.
• Study/TV room with television, ipod player, DVD player (including a good selection of DVD's), well stocked bookshelves - perfect for your morning coffee.
• French doors off the family room lead to a private terrace with teak table and chairs overlooking private garden with wild flower meadow, mown path leading through to BBQ and seating area under the shade of mature oaks.
• Bedroom 1 - double wrought iron bedstead, a bright pretty room overlooking the gardens with en-suite shower facilities.
• Hallway with hanging facilities - ladies straw sun hats, walking canes and umbrellas (just in case!) provided.
• Bedroom 2 - a lovely light twin bedroom with shower facility off the Hall.
• Separate laundry room with washing machine, drying rack, iron and ironing board.
• Bedroom 3 – a private single bedroom located below the study.
• An option exists to include 2 more bedrooms in a self-contained small barn conversion with its own light and open double bedroom, single bedroom and bathroom (shower, bath, toilet, sink) adjacent to Deer House.
• Free wireless inter-net.
• Quality linen and duvets.
• TV/DVD/CD/Ipod player with Sky box and a selection of DVD'S
• Large paperback library.
• 'Honesty Bar' for longer vacations.
• Currently - 3 bicycles with helmets.
• A laundry and dry cleaning service is available upon request for those guests staying for longer vacations (additional cost).
• Full cleaning services if required at a cost (additional cost).
• Riberac, the local market town (15 minutes).
• Perigeaux, beautiful City Centre and Old Roman Town, 45 minutes.
• Angouleme, TGV, excellent restaurants, famous Comic Museum and annual “Round the Ramparts” classic car race (September), 45 minutes.
• Brantome, historic town with old Abbey and caves and beautiful river and excellent restaurants, 30minutes.
• Bordeaux, major city with extensive facilities and attractions including international airport,1hour 20minutes.
• Limoges, home of Limoges Pottery, 1hour 20minutes.
• La Rochelle, great Port, beaches and restaurants, 2hours.
• Isle de Rei, wonderful beaches and walking, 2hours 30minutes.
• Sarlat, famous regional tourist town with fascinating old town, 2hours.
• And of course Paris 2 and a half hours by TGV from Angouleme (high speed train.)
• So many beautiful places to see and we are very well placed for visits to the many chateaux in the area or a wine tasting tour; including the famous Cognac region.
• Our local village is Verteillac, 5kms away with doctor, chemist, hairdresser, 3 bars and 3 restaurants, post office, church (Roman Catholic) and food shops. There is a weekly market on Saturday morning and a large Brocante (second hand/car boot sale) every first Sunday of the month.
TRANSPORT. It is essential to have your own transport as there is no local public transport. There are many rental car companies at all airports, i.e. Paris, Bordeaux, Bergerac, Angouleme and Limoges but booking in advance is essential to avoid disappointment.
TRAVEL - For those entering France via the Euro Chunnel by car, please allow 8hrs for the journey from Calais to the house.
'DEER HOUSE' caters for every type of visitor, whether your seeking peace and to be at one with nature or wishing to make your vacation more active - nature, travel, horse riding, cuisine, sporting activities, wine tasting, historical sites, cycling, touring, boating and lot's more - I promise you will not be disappointed with so much to explore and enjoy.
GARDENS. Grass cutters/gardeners are normally at the property weekly (monday) and therefore I apologize for any inconvenience i.e. with noise of the mower.
Interaction with Guests
Having lived and worked in many interesting countries and over 120+ house moves, we love meeting people and all they have to offer with their own tales of travels while also respecting their privacy. We usually meet my guests over a cocktail or a glass of wine on the terrace once they have settled in. As keen gardeners, we are more than happy to share my vegetables and herbs picked fresh from our organic garden when in season.
Either myself or my wife are normally in residence during the spring and summer periods with shorter time spent over the Christmas and New Year holidays - we have a wonderful lady who will look after you equally as well when we are not present.
You can walk direct from your door into the fields and through the woods where you are likely to catching a glimpse of deer or two. The nearest hamlet and the surrounding villages have a most wonderful mix of people, mostly those who have travelled extensively and it is not unusual to meet some famous film stars/directors/writers/pop stars in the local village of Verteillac; who all have properties in the vicinity - everyone is so friendly and helpful, a real buzz of a place offering the best of both worlds.
A car is essential due to the property standing on; it's own although 3 bicycles are provided for cycling into the local village you will need a car to explore the local area further and going into the towns. A large parking area is available for vehicles. The TGV (high speed train) runs regularly from Angouleme for those wishing a day/weekend away in Paris (two and a half hours by train).
1. No Smoking is allowed on the property.
2. No Pets.
3. For your own safety and that of the house, the BBQ must be extinguished after use to avoid fire risk to the surrounding area. Candles if lit must also be extinguished after use. The above must not be left unattended when out for the day/evening.
4. It is recommended that you keep interior lights switched off if windows and doors are to be left open in the evening or if lights are left on then please ensure your windows and doors remain closed to avoid attracted flying insects by the artificial light after dusk.
5. All garbage must be taken to bins provided next to the Marie (mayor's) office in Coutures. Please ensure you place correctly in bins designated. Please do not leave any garbage at the property.
6. 'DEER HOUSE' and gardens are run organically and we would therefore ask for you to be aware of this. Please DO NOT use bleach in the house or any chemicals; especially in the toilets.
7. The house is not on the mains sewage and therefore flushing sanitary pads, tampons or condoms will not only block the drainage system but necessitate the call out of a plumber which could take anything up to 48hrs before the house is back on normal facilities - any cost incurred will be charged to guests.
8. MOLE - yes we do have a mole in our midst but not quite the spying type! This is Malines’ residential cat that you might get to see. He is very friendly but please do not encourage him into the house and please do not feed him. His name is Mr. Mole and very friendly.
9. The books and DVDs are provided on trust; please do not remove them from the property, they are there for both yours and future guests.
10. No additional overnight guests without the owner’s permission. There will be a charge.
11. All vehicles must be parked in the designated parking area at the end of the barn.
12. We do ask that noise to be kept to a minimum after 10pm.
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
About Martin Fuller
We have owned a house in France for over 18 years, and this property for over 10 years, but it is only in the last couple of years that we have been able to spend any length of time here. We loved the house form day 1 for its magical feeling and have enjoyed every moment we spend here. Much of our lives has been spent travelling, with most of the last 18 years being in the Middle East (Kuwait and the UAE) with myself working in the oil and gas industry (risk management) and my wife firstly bringing up our 2 children then more recently returning to build a career of her own in interior design and environmental projects mainly focused on opportunities in the UAE. After the last 2 years working for G4S in Africa I am now doing consultancy work form home and my wife continues to build her interiors business, spending most of her time in the Middle East.
Martin Fuller purchased this farmhouse in 2002
Why Martin Fuller chose Verteillac
We bought a house in the Charente in the late '90's which we sold in 2001 when our dreams had changed. However, we had fallen in love with the region and spent several months looking for another home. When hope had almost gone we stumbled upon Les Malines and immediately fell in love with it. At the time it was being run as an organic farm and the only habitable accommodation was what is now Deer House. Over the following years we improved and developed the property, with a lot of work on the gardens and then central heating and renovations of the original house and attached barn to create the basis of the main family house and a small barn conversion to what it is today.
What makes this farmhouse unique
Fantastic, peaceful atmosphere; space to relax in privacy; surrounded by beautiful countryside with long views; great night skies with no light pollution; no neighbours yet close to all the facilities you could want.