Misrepresentation and unkept, dirty conditions!
Upon arrival we reamined in this rental approximately 15 minutes befored being forced to leave due to overwhelming, noxious moldy odor, insect (flea) bites and filth!
The cabin had obvious not been cleaned in a very long time. Bathroom sinks had harden toothpaste spit, toilets were dirty, moldy food in refrigerator. Dirty towels were lying on the bathroom floor and there was garbage and waste in all the trash cans. Floor were dirty and sticky and the "Shag" carpet in the basement was hardened and matted and had not appeared to had seen a vacumm in years.
Mattresses and boxspring sitting on the floors, hatchets and work gloves on the kitchen counters, entranceway appeared to be the storage area for empty beer bottles.
We contacted the owner immediately upon leaving. He initially appeared genuinely concerned and understanding of the situation. Stated he was aware of the mold and that the dehumidifier needed to be turned on in the basement. The owner graciously offered to refund our full rental fee - obviously knowing the unacceptable living standard his cabin was in.
Subsequently the owner changed his mind stating the caretaker felt the odor was "stale" air and the cabin was up to standard. We did not recieve any refund at all!!!
So if you have really substandard expectations of cleanliness and would like to rent a place with an unhealthy mold issue from an owner who really has no pride of ownership or sense of personal accoutability, this is the place for you.
This place did not even meet minimal standards of up keep or cleanliness to ethically be advertising to rent
Owner's Response: I received the call from the renter and promised her that if the chalet was not in good order, I would refund her. I had my caretaker check the place Mon., May 7. He reported that there was no "moldy" smell, but the house had been closed for a while. It's a log home and the smell comes from the pine logs. He found no "fleas" or any sign of vermin anywhere in the house. The entire house is protected by an ultrasound system that excludes any possibility of infestation.
I went to the chalet the following weekend. The "moldy food in the refrigerator" was a half gallon container with about 2 oz. of juice in it. It had been pushed to the back and was overlooked by my cleaning service. The rest of the food were condiments and were ok .
The "dirty towel" was a bath mat in front of the shower to prevent falling accidents. The "toothpaste" in the sink is a porcelain repair substance that has pluggeg a chip in the bowl for 20 years. It's still working fine.
The carpets were vacuumed before her arrival. The "sticky floors" are coated with an epoxy resin which leaves a very shiny and durable finish without being slippery. It is a standard (OSHA) product for industrial buildings.
The "mattresses and box springs on the floor' are in the loft, where headroom is an issue. In fact, they are on very low custom made frames.
The work gloves and tools are next to the wood stove, where they are used to tend the fire.
The bottles in the entryway were there to be recycled, along with two trash containers also with empties-VT recycles.
I found a paper towel in the kitchen trash container.
I have rented for 35 years, with many return clients. This is the FIRST complaint I have received.
Helpful votes: 1/3
Did you find this review helpful?