Barnstable House Rental Photos and Description
4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, sleeps 8+, available Thanksgiving and Christmas 2014
--Imagine yourself rocking on the 2nd floor screened porch, watching the sun go down over the marsh, sea, and dunes.
--Imagine yourself eating dinner with friends and family in a beautiful great-room under soaring, white rafters.
--Imagine yourself relaxing in a home that is the perfect combination of beach-house casual and vacation elegance.
--Our year-round home has striking views over Barnstable Harbor and an original design from an award-winning team of architects.
--The classic, shingled exterior and light, airy interior makes a classy, cozy winter hideaway or a relaxed, summer cottage.
--Upstairs, a living room, dining room, and fully-equipped kitchen form a 'great room' with cathedral ceiling, heated by wood burning stove.
--Our charming sunroom, den, screened porch, and deck provide indoor and outdoor living areas.
--Tiny cabin/playhouse with deck in the woods.
--Outdoor shower, as well as two full bathrooms.
--Right off of 6A on the bay (north) side, we're a short drive to public beaches, historic Barnstable Village and Hyannis.
The Story of an Upside-Down House: When we first found the property that now houses our architectural gem, the place was an overgrown briar patch without any apparent view of anything. But at the top of a tree at the highest point, we discovered a gorgeous vista of marsh and sea. An unusual idea was born: why not make the house upside-down, with the main indoor and outdoor living areas/master bedroom on the top floor and the other bedrooms/living areas on the bottom?
The stunning result: beautiful views from the upstairs living room and kitchen, which make a 'great room' with a cathedral ceiling, and from the 2nd floor screened porch off the living room, from where, drink in hand, we can watch the sun go down over the marshes. The great room was designed to give a feeling of space and light to the major living space of the house. The ceiling beams lift the eye upwards towards a ventilating cupola at the top of the space.
Outside, there is a large, grassy lawn, some sunny, some shady, with lots of room for outdoor games (badminton, croquet, etc.). Outdoor seating areas include a two-person hammock strung between two trees, second floor screened porch, back deck with grill, and newly built playhouse with wrap around deck in a wooded side yard overlooking the vernal pool.
For more information, renter reviews, and photos, please visit our house website at http://capecodhouse.weebly.com
The house is equipped with all amenities to make your stay comfortable.
* Quiet location with great view (large, wooded lot on a quiet cul-de-sac with a view over upper reaches of Barnstable Harbor.
* Sleeps 8 in 4 bedrooms (4 with queens, as well as an additional twin bed in 2 of the bedrooms, plus full-size futon in the sunroom). Baby crib, high chair available.
* In- and outdoor bathing facilities (2 full baths and an outdoor 'after-swim' shower).
* Fully equipped kitchen (including microwave, dishwasher, etc.; gas grill on deck.
* Classy and comfortable atmosphere (wood-burning stove in the living room); central air conditioning; dining room table and chairs for up to 10; eat-in, furnished screened porch; and oak floors/oriental rugs throughout).
* Entertainment/Communication (TV/DVD, DSL with Wi-Fi, CD player; computer/printer available; long distance phone).
* A variety of books, indoor and outdoor games, puzzles, toys, beach equipment provided. Lots of stuff for kids!
* Washing facilities (washer, dryer, ironing board and clothes line)
- children welcome
- Minimum Age Limit for Renters
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- non smoking only
About Marcy Lay
This house was designed and built in 2001 with a goal of creating a treehouse atmosphere that captures all the views and breezes. Having now lived full time in the house for three years (except when traveling), my husband and I can attest to the fact that it is extremely comfortable and livable house in a gorgeous area.
Marcy Lay purchased this house in 2000
Why Marcy Lay chose Barnstable
I grew up on Cape Cod, in Barnstable, every summer during childhood and never tire of its charms. While all of Cape Cod is beautiful, our location, right off of Rte 6A (the Old King's Highway) is ideal for easy access to all areas. We have really come to appreciate the quiet and natural beauty of this area during the off season.
What makes this house unique
This house has been enjoyed by renters for more than 10 years. Satisfied guests have told us that it is a wonderful house for family and friend reunions and gatherings, as well as a great setting for children, as it is away from the road, has a large lawn and playhouse, as well as a multitude of indoor and outdoor games and toys. Please see the house website at http://email@example.com to see a compilation of visitor comments from our guestbook.