Sistelo is a village located in northern Portugal, on the left bank of the River Vez, one of the sides of the Peneda Geres National Park, inviting us to climb through the mountains of walking in the footsteps of shepherds and their animals, we lead to secular Brandas of Sistelo, ideal for lovers of the contact with nature and the mountain.
Sistelo is famous for its 'solcalcos', which arose from the need to increase the agricultural area and counteract the slopes. These structures allowed the development of subsistence agriculture is extremely important for the survival of rural communities. You can see the 'granaries', built in the seventeenth century, in order to dry the corn.
The Peneda Geres National Park is one of the greatest natural attractions in Portugal, due to its impressive scenic beauty, ecological value, ethnographic and variety of fauna (ponies, wolves, birds of prey) and flora (pine, chestnut, oak and various medicinal plants .) It extends from the mountains of Geres, in the south, through the mountains of Peneda to the Spanish border.
Located in the park are important centers of pilgrimage, the Shrine of Our Lady of Peneda, replica of the sanctuary of Bom Jesus de Braga, and St. Benedict's Open Door, a place of great popular devotion.
This area is characterized by its parties (traditional music, costumes, songs and dances).
There are markets in exceptional Cerveira (Saturday), Viana Do Castelo (Friday), walks (Wednesday) and many others.
Follow the wine route green along the Minho Valley, passing between rolling hills covered with vineyards that produce wine of the region.
Other places to visit:
- Arcos de Valdevez is located approximately 20 km and is characterized by restaurants, bars, supermarkets and a river beach.
- Ponte de Lima is an ancient city about 30 km and is characterized by its medieval architecture. It is surrounded by the river Lima. There is also the Golf Course Ponte de Lima (18 holes) at 25 minutes.
- Melgaco, a beautiful town located about 30 km, the river Minho
- Monsoon (Region Albariño wine), with three modern supermarkets located 22 km away, has a wonderful outdoor public pool.
- Valencia (35 km), the old city, to visit mandatory.
- Vigo (60 km) and Santiago de Compostela (150 km) are other places to visit.
Travel: A 90 minutes from the airport of Porto (Portugal) and Santiago de Compostela (Spain). The journey from Porto airport is via the A3 motorway. Flights are available from Stansted, Heathrow, Gatwick to Porto (Portugal) and Stansted, Heathrow to Santiago de Compostela. Also from Liverpool to Porto and Santiago de Compostela, and Dublin to Porto.
For more information visit: http://countryvillage.wix.com/northportugal.