Sanxenxo (Sanxenxo) is a Galician village located in the district of Salnes, between the estuaries of Arosa and Pontevedra.
The municipality has parishes: St. Mary Adina, the parish with the largest area and population where the Villa of Portonovo (fishing village and tourist), San Pedro de Bordóns, the smallest, San Juan de Dorrón, Santa Eulalia Nantes, the only church that has no sea, San Esteban de Noallas Padriñan San Gines, which belongs to the town of Sanxenxo, provincial capital and San Pedro de Vilalonga.
Its territory is formed by two distinct zones inside with fertile valleys and rolling hills and rugged coastline consists of cliffs on one side and open beaches on the other. This physiognomy particularly special microclimate favors warm temperatures throughout the year. All these qualities mean that we consider to Sanxenxo the tourist capital of the Rias Baixas.
It is located 19 km from Pontevedra, 46 km from Vigo and 67km from Santiago de Compostela.
What to see?
- Pazos. They are important to the country houses of Revel and Brown in Villalonga and Patiño Dukes' built in the sixteenth century. The latter, located in the historic center of Sanxenxo, highlighted by the crests of its facade.
- Remains of the Fortress of A Launched. This fort was built on the remains of an ancient Phoenician lighthouse in the tenth century The intention was to defend the coast against pirate attacks. Today is preserved part of one of the towers and the chapel where you save the image of the Virgin of the spear.
- Churches. We highlight the San Xinés, soberly built in the late fifteenth and where the highlight is later Baroque bell tower (XVIII century). It has a rectangular nave and apse. Adina Parish Church and the Church of Santo Etevo of Noallas seventeenth century preserved Roman remains. Other churches are San Pedro de Bordóns, San Xenxo of Padriñán and San Pedro de Vilalonga.
- Cruceiros. These monuments so typically Galicians are frequent in Sanxenxo. Highlights include A stone cross in Vilalonga Costiña and Noalla cruzeiro.
- Beaches. Sanxenxo has over 30 km of coastline with superb beaches, some are small coves, others are more open sandy areas and others are beautiful cliffs. One of the best known and most extensive is that of the spear, which allows the performance of many sports. Others are: Silgar beach, beach Major, Pragueira, Bascuas (naturist) beach of Montalvo, Paxariñas, and Caneliña Canelas beaches and small coves as Os Boats, Panadeira, Lavapanos or Carabuxeira.
- Marina. It is one of the most modern Galicia and he held many events and sports competitions throughout the year. Classes are sailing and excursions and adventure activities.
- Sports. Golf (in the fields of La Toja and Moana), surfing, sailing, deep sea fishing, horseback riding, hiking, rafting, canyoning ... The Rias Baixas is the best place to enjoy active tourism in Galicia. etc.
- Intertidal Complex A'Lanzada. It is a natural area declared special protection for birds. Is between A'Lanzada isthmus, O'Grove Peninsula and the mouth of the river Umia. Its importance lies in the wide variety of eco-systems shelters: from beaches such as A spear, until freshwater lagoons Rouxique, El Monte Siradella, etc..
- Fiestas de San Antonio. The June 13.
- Night of San Juan. It is celebrated throughout the city on 23 and 24 June.
- Pilgrimage of the spear. In August traditional procession is held in honor of San Ginés. Formerly accompanying so-called 'ritual bath of the nine waves' for fertility. There are also bands and pipers sardine.
- San Roque. Pattern Portonovo villa, held from 14 to 19 August. great sardine, the next day marks the day of the patron of the parish of Santa Maria Adina,
- San Cristobal. Held in early July with fair and verbena.
- Santa Rosalia. From 3 to September 5 was a sea procession with the image of the Virgin and a fair whose flagship product onions.
- St. Catherine, patroness of Portonovo is celebrated on November 25 with the maritime-terrestrial procession.