Marittima House Rental Photos and Description
House in the center of Maritime Diso with inner courtyard
House with 3 bedrooms, kitchen, reading room, lounge with fireplace, 3 bathrooms, outdoor patio, sleeps 6. The house is equipped with all comforts: air conditioning, satellite TV, dishwasher, washing machine, stove and so on. Outdoor patio. Ability to use bicycles and a boat.
A Brief History:
The existence of Maritime since the distant past, as evidenced by the discovery of ancient coins and artifacts typical in stone and clay.
Like the nearby towns of Diso and Castro Vast, even Marittima has been inhabited in the past by Messapians.
Maritime hamlet of Castro County, for several centuries, and until 1809 was an independent town with the usual designation of University, his is a story of everyday events, work and sacrifice, harassment and conditions of serfs under the feudal lords, who held the economic life of the country in a deplorable stagnation, which was broken by a tragic fate in 1537.
For some time the coasts of Salento were threatened by the incursions of marauding Turks or Saracens, who repeatedly plundered and pillaged the coasts and sometimes even not only the inland of Salento, also from Calabria and the Tyrrhenian coast.
The July 28 1537 Castro fell under the blows of the Turks, allies of the French to weaken the Spanish Government of the Kingdom of Naples, and Marittima was destroyed and burned.
Life went on, though bitter, and in 1573 Marittima already had a hundred inhabitants: But a new misfortune sowed death and despair: a horde of Turkish pirates plundered the coasts of Salento, raging against Castro and neighboring countries, including Marittima.
Other raids and vandalism of piracy one another over time until the beginning of 1800.
To defend throughout the Salento territory from enemy attacks, and subsequent king Charles V of Spain thought to guard the coasts and in 1748 with Towers in Salento, there were already 80.
One of the oldest towers in the extreme coast of Salento is Wolf Tower, which dates from the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century.
Stands alone on a remarkable altrura (100 meters), dominating the breast Acquaviva and the large stretch of sea that goes from Castro to the promontory of Capo di Leuca.
He was in communication with other coastal towers for possible dangers of enemy assaults.
Even in the village were built towers to defend its inhabitants, most likely after the last raid of 1573, making the town a fortress. Some of those towers no longer exist, others are in good condition, even when engaged in private homes. The most famous is in Via B. Cellini, adjacent to the baronial mansion of T-Shirt, called "Tower of Alfonso": It 'a nice tower with a square base, with a balcony at the top that gives grandeur, elegance and movement to the whole building.
Historical importance and discreet artistic value has the church of Santa Maria of Constantinople and the adjacent former Conventual Fathers.
The church of Santa Maria of Constantinople was built in 1610 to accommodate an 'icon of Our Lady, called of Constantinople or Odegitria, miraculously recovered.
The exterior has no architectural structure, if not the local stone portal worked.
In the eighteenth century it was remodeled and embellished with stucco and altars, which give the whole a baroque flavor.
Among the many altars that deserves special attention of the Crucifix, a beautiful baroque Lecce, perhaps by Giuseppe Cino, the author of the building of the Seminary of Lecce. At Cino (or his school) are also attributed to the portal, the hosannas of the icon on the main altar and the two access doors to the sacristy, presumably all of 1691 date engraved on the oval of the portal.
The paintings that adorn the interior walls have no particular artistic value, the small eighteenth-century organ pipe of lead is a jewel of art. But no doubt a lot of devotion and reverence is the fresco of the Madonna placed in a radial pattern carved stone altar.
A little later (1621) is the Convent, now privately owned. All local (cloister, well, arches, cells, dormitory, kitchen, stables, warehouses) still preserve the original structure.
The Franciscan coat with Latin inscription is still visible on the entrance door of the convent and is dated 1727.
The monastery has housed a community of Franciscan monks who were of great use for Maritime and neighboring countries. It was the seat and home to some bishops of the Diocese of Castro, which was abolished in 1818.
The economic resources of the convent, however, were not enough to support the coexistence of the religious community, which was suppressed in 1795.
The parish church, dedicated to St. Vitale martyr, has no particular artistic importance and is built on an existing church. The design is the architect Filippo Basin of Spongano.
The interior is neo-classical style, while the old facade is an elegant Baroque.
The church has three naves, moved by arches and cornices ending in an elegant central ellipsoidal dome, adorned with frescoes.
The numerous paintings (many from the disused chapel of the Convent) of the interior walls have only documentary value; deserves some attention the large painting on the main altar depicting St. Vitale horse and certainly in the early years of the seventeenth century.
In a niche is preserved as a precious relic, a wooden statue of the patron small S. Vitale.
Very elegant in their structure are the numerous palaces and stately homes Palace with Spanish court, the baronial palaces T-shirt with coat of arms and date, palace Jerome Russians ashlar and beautiful portal with court palace Pauline Russians and date, Vitale palace with Russians ashlar base and monumental portal surmounted by a beautiful balcony jutting out from the building Salvatore Russians lancet windows oriental, palace Cesario Nuzzo in Via Cellini and Charles Nuzzo palace in Piazza della Vittoria.
Where we are:
- The City of Diso, comprising countries of Diso and Marittima, covers an area of ??11.56 square kilometers and has 3400 inhabitants.
It is about 200 km from Bari and 47 km from Lecce.
For about 3 km and 'washed by the Adriatic Sea.
Geographically it is set to 98 (110) meters above sea level and is agevomente connected with the various centers of the province.
- How to get to Diso: from Lecce (km 46) is reached via the SS 16 to the ring for Maglie, then continue on the road to Poggiardo, Ortelle and Diso, from Otranto (20 km. Approximately) it runs along the ' Adriatic south past Port Badisco, wonderful natural bay, Santa Cesarea Terme, famous thermal spa, the Zinzulusa, famous throughout Italy for its stunning caves, up to Castro Marina, famous seaside resort, from where you continue to Vignacastrisi up Diso; train to Spongano (2 km.) with the Lecce-Maglie-Gagliano via Zollino. Show Map
- pets considered
- wheelchair accessible
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- children welcome
- Low Allergen Environment