Varenna is a small town on the eastern shore of Lake Como, one hour away from Milan by train. You need to take the Tirano, Sondrio or Colico train.
Some of the sites to see and things to do in Varenna
- The medieval parish church of San Giorgio with its important frescoes and the fresco of St Christopher on its façade.
- The church of San Giovanni Battista, probably one of the first churches on the lake with its frescoes from the early 14th to 16th centuries in the Lombard style.
- Villa Monastero, once a medieval convent with Italianate, botanic gardens and with breathtaking views of the lake.
- Villa Cipressi's terraced botanic gardens leading down towards the lake.
- Fiumelatte (Milk River), Italy's shortest river. Leonardo visited Fiumelatte in order to study the phenomenon of its milky white water.
- Castello di Vezio, a castle on the rock overlooking Varenna with a panoramic view of the three branches of the lake.
- The 'Sentiero del viandante'or the 'Wayfarer's Trail', the ancient mule track which runs above and along the lake with spectacular views.
- In the art studio opposite the studio flat, Annamaria Rivolta, Varenna's watercolour artist gives watercolour painting lessons. For more informations, please call +39 338 6230347 or to speak to a mother-tongue English speaker +39 340 8794046.