For those looking to escape urban life, this cottage is fantastic! My wife, young son and I spent 4 nights at this cottage and couldn't have been happier and will return. A few highlights:
- Views, Jacuzzi, fire pit, hammock & TVs are as advertised - all first rate!
- Beach Cove(s): From the cottage you see a small beach area. Neighbors were using that spot so we gave them privacy and walked 20 yards beyond (through a small path) to have our own private beach that we used for 3 days. Water is very shallow so it was perfect for our son to enjoy as his own ocean. We walked out 60-70 yards and were still only knee deep in warm water for early May. Very enjoyable! We did see a few jellyfish and read about stingrays, but thankfully didn't have an encounter. The shallow water certainly helps; next time we will be prepared for any possible encounters.
- Cottage is a 2 BR which fit our needs with a young child. We never used the room off to the side of the Living room except to store a few items (suitcases, water toys we brought, etc.)
- We love to cook so we were very happy to have a fully stocked kitchen and a BBQ/smoker we used for 3 of our 4 nights. All you will need to bring is the food you want to cook/eat and some olive oil and a few spices to enjoy great meals overlooking wonderful views.
- Neighbors: Talked to the occupants on both sides of the cottage (assumed they were more owners than renters like us) and they were very nice. Neighbors in the first cottage going towards the pool were also very nice and offered fishing tips.
- Fishing: This was to be the first time my son fished so there were obvious concerns. Key was just to get him used to tossing a line in the water with a plastic float instead of a hook. While walking out to the pier we saw one 20 inch fish that evaded our attempts at a free meal. We only saw small ones after that and didn't get a bite but had a fun time anyway. Neighbor told us the trick. Wade out (water is very shallow for a 100 yards or so from the banks where the cottage is) to the water line - brown/blue indicating a shelf. If I had brought my water shoes I would have taken a pole and a knapsack out there on at least one occasion. Robert also provided info on other fishing spots but we were to happy enjoying the cottage to leave.
Robert was VERY helpful with details on a couple items since we were brought our young son and it was our 1st time to Mathews.
Bring a book, some food and plan to not want to leave. ENJOY!