As frequent travelers, we know that it is not uncommon to find that rental advertisements inflate the actual property. This is NOT the case with Clocktower House. It was refreshing to find it exactly as described. The house was clean, very spacious and filled with natural light. You will find the quality of kitchen provisions and general furnishings several notches above standard. It was more like staying at someone’s home rather than a rental. There are several notebooks packed with information about the house (including appliance manuals), the area and things to do. The lovely enclosed garden gave us a worry free environment for the 2 greyhounds.
The owners obviously care about this property which is well managed by caretakers Jan and Jon.
The worst we can report is that we could have used more clothing storage in the smaller bedroom. Perhaps the owners might also consider an oval table in the dining area as it was a bit cumbersome getting 6 adults in and out of the round table. If you don’t mind sharing, there is only one enclosed (but great) shower in the 3 large bathrooms. (We Americans struggle with a hand held even with a partial glass wall.)
It was an active vacation for us. May we suggest:
- Endless hiking and walking opportunities for all levels. Try Cally Woods, Cairnsmore National Reserve and the numerous sandy beaches
- Kite feeding in Laurieston
- Kirkcudbright (great farmers market the last Sunday of every month)
- Laggan Outdoor Adventure Center for zip lines and other insane activities
- Robert Burns birthplace in Alloway is well worth the trip
- The Marrbury and the Galloway Smokehouses
- Golf at the Cally Hotel was lots of fun. Brighouse Bay Golf Club also came highly recommended
Be sure to get to know the folks in town. We loved going to the local pubs including the Bank of Fleet. Also, co-owners Richard, Jimmy and Sophia have a true gem in the more upscale Masonic arms (across the street from the house). You will end your vacation feeling that the people you met were truly happy to have you there.