We spent a week in New York at the start of July, doing the stuff that most tourists plan to do...shows, 9-11 memorial, museums, Central Park, Apollo, etc. Our family of 2 adults, 3 teens stayed at this east side apartment, using it as base camp for our daily explorations. The apartment is clean, comfortable, and suitable for making small meals in.
- safe, friendly neighbourhood with groceries and restaurants close by
- quiet building, windows face onto an inner courtyard
- the MET and Guggenheim museums, and Central Park, are 20-30 minutes walk away
- the one problem that came up while we were there was dealt with reasonably quickly
What we'd do different:
- the apartment is 15-20 minute walk from the express subway lines 4 and 5, and then it's another 20 minutes to get to lower Manhattan, where we spent most of our time. We'd planned to use transit the whole time, but found that cabs significantly reduced the time spent getting to/from the sites, without blowing too big a hole in our vacation budget.
The city is constructing a new subway line on 2nd Ave, just a block away from the apartment...when it's running, this apartment will be much closer to a station.