To say that my expectations were exceeded would be an understatement...
I had heard from friends about the properties owned by White Pillars Lodging --- about their attention to detail, about the serenity of Trout Lake, and the extra amenities that set them apart from the rest.
(1) Location, location, location. I love large cities, and going places, and doing things, but Trout Lake is wonderfully secluded. It's largely surrounded by a state park which provided the perfect environment to allow our little young family to reconnect and recharge before getting back to the hustle-and-bustle of everyday life. What a joy!
(2) Don't underestimate the wood-fed sauna -- so relaxing and fun. When I saw photos I thought it would never be used..."not for us, not my thing." But we loved it.
(3) Having a motor boat makes a huge difference! When we booked the place, it was a "nice-to-have." But in coming years, it's a must!
(4) Perfect swimming for the kids --- The lack of a true beach was an initial concern upon renting, but the owner ensured us that this property would meet our needs and indeed it did!! The shallow sandy waters and the raft met all the swimming and safety needs of our three little kids (5,3,1) and us adults too!.
(5) The extra large windows remained opened the entire stay. The sounds of loons met us at dawn, and the gentle breeze blowing through the cabin was just perfect! Perfect!
(6) About five miles away there's a little general store, with ice cream! For a fun, special night, quick getaway.
(7) The kayaks and canoes were a huge hit with the kids. Trout Lake is very calm and perfect for young kids.
(8) There are some fun (and short) hiking trails nearby that are perfect for little kids. Pack a lunch. It will be perfect.
I cannot more highly recommend this property (or any from White Pillars Lodging.) We'll be back for sure!