We stayed with a group of eight adults at White Pines for a skiing weekend. It was very cold and very snowy, and the house made our evenings warm and cozy and comfortable. The whole house smells deliciously of pine and is lovingly and carefully equipped with everything one might need. We made lasagna for eight and there were pans to spare. We also found a box of brownies on arrival that disappeared in no time.
We really loved the upper floor with the large fireplace and the open kitchen and living room; we didn't spend much time downstairs, where as a consequence it was quite cool. There were space heaters for all rooms downstairs.
Overall, we were very happy in the house and we hope to come back in the future!
Some thoughts on the property and maybe useful tips:
- For all the other city dwellers out there, make sure that you open the flue when you make a fire (it's on the inside of the fireplace) -- on first try we smoked the house and triggered a fire alarm. The owners were very responsive though and we got it to work a little later.
- It was an extremely cold weekend and we were unable to get the sauna to sauna temperature. This might have been our incompetence with making fire, see above. We weren't very concerned about it, but if you care about the sauna you may want to get detailed instructions in advance.
- If you want to go skiing there is a little snag for late risers: the parking lots at Sunday River fill up as more people arrive. This means late comers are waved into a parking lot quite far from the skiing area and have to take a shuttle. We made the mistake to a) arrive late and b) not follow the waving people in ski masks. Having said that, the trip to the skiing area and also to several cross country skiing places is short, and there is lighted night skiing!
- Be warned that the slope up to the house really does get slippery when it's snowing and freezing! We needed a few tries to get up (without snow tires), but we made it. In an emergency one could probably park at the bottom of the driveway.
- If anything could be improved in the house, it's probably the recycling situation. When away only for a weekend, it's somewhat cumbersome to make time to find a recycling station in the area. In the end one of our group simply took all the recycling home, but that might not always be an option.