Our family recently stayed at this house and were very happy with the experience. The house is private and has an efficient design. There are two bedrooms and a bathroom on each side of the house with a common area consisting of a living room, dining room, kitchen and laundry in the center. One of the best things about the house however is the view from the front window. And if you have kids, there is a spacious yard in the front.
Even though we visited in the Spring, we experienced significant snow so unless you are going in the Summer, a 4 wheel drive is HIGHLY recommended.
The house is about 1/2 way around the Golden Circle so you have relatively short drives to interesting sites. It is however one hour, 20 minutes from the Blue Lagoon but the drive (especially by the ocean) was pleasant.
For restaurants, we most liked Grimsborgir Restaurant which is very close (about a 3 minute drive and open for breakfast 8-10 and dinner 6PM -) and Red House, or Rauda Husid (http://raudahusid.is/en/home/#_=_) which had very good food and a more fine-dining feel to it (they also had a children's menu which isn't as common in Iceland). The Rauda Husid is approximately 20 minutes away and near the ocean.
One thing that many people overlook is that there is a geothermal power plant that you can visit. It's on the way to the airport, and just outside of Reykjavik. You can get a tour and since we visited during a snow storm, we had a private tour that was well worth the trip. The people working at the plant could not have been nicer or more helpful. http://orkusyn.is/index.php/english.html
A few things to be aware of:
- No apparently way to turn off exterior lights – makes it hard to see Northern Lights from inside
- TV has very few working channels. This was actually good for my family!
- Good WiFi in common areas.
- The gate to the community where the house is is sometimes locked and you have to get out of your car and lock, then relock it. Not a big deal so mainly an fyi
- Recommend stopping by grocery store on the way to the house so you have supplies and can truly start the relaxation process.
- Some tours, (such as the Super Jeep) that we booked will pick you up at the house rather than having to drive into the city. This saved almost 2 hours and let us avoid driving on certain tours altogether.