When we booked this home, all of the reviews were 5 star, but as our vacation drew closer, several 1 star reviews popped up, so we were a bit nervous. I'm not sure what happened with those other stays (as the owner mentioned, the dishwasher was replaced and the cleaning service changed), but we didn't find many faults with this home. Towels were provided as were a few pool floats and boogie boards.
The view is absolutely top-notch. The few houses you can see from the lanai and pool don't detract from your views. Also, the current construction near the home inside the ranch appears that it will not effect the view.
As for the home itself, it is very comfortable and bright. There are a few small things that are problematic, though.
1) The cleaning crew is still leaving spider webs (not cobwebs, but webs with spiders) in the corners
2) I think a bit more pest control would be helpful in keeping the tiny sugar ants we found a few times at bay, especially in the kitchen
3) Many windows don't seal when closed, so winds tend to make them whistle
4) Most bathrooms don't have a ventilation fan (though, oddly, the laundry room does)
5) The living room sofas are a bit worn out and could stand to be replaced
Those small faults do not do much to detract from the overall enjoyment of house and the fantastic location. We would definitely recommend this home to anyone looking to stay in the Kohala Ranch area. The approximate elevation of 500ft does seem to be in the "perfect" range of warmth and sun while maintaining the breezes.
Note that the home has no air conditioning and only open windows and doors and ceiling fans will provide ventilation. Most times, this isn't an issue, but if you like to sleep with everything closed, it can be a bit warm until about 10pm in the bedrooms.
In summary, this is a very luxurious home and with a bit of a push, should be one of the best homes available in Kohala Ranch and on the entire island.
By the way, during your stay in the home or in Kohala Ranch, be sure to make frequent trips to Anuenue Shave Ice and Kohala Burger and Taco, which are both about 5 minutes down the road.