6 Reasons Kids Love Maggie Valley
Maggie Valley, NC vacations
have the perfect combination of relaxation and fun. Whether your children are young or teenage, there are Maggie Valley kids activities for all ages – and that the grown-ups will enjoy, too.
Maggie Valley Amusement Parks
- Kids will love an afternoon of miniature golf at the recently renovated Fantasy Golf. The course includes a lighthouse, waterfalls and a 18th-hole tower you can climb for a fantastic view of the surrounding area. There is also an onsite game room for those that don't want to golf. Fantasy Golf is open seven days a week, and at just $5 per person it's great on your budget, too. Appalachian Amusement Center
- Just a short drive from Maggie Valley
is the Appalachian Amusement Center, where you can feel what it's like to fly. The center is a vertical wind tunnel that simulates skydiving freefall. It's a great choice for thrill-seeking kids, and children as young as four are allowed.
Maggie Valley Outdoor Activities
Whether you visit in winter or summer, there are plenty of Maggie Valley kids activities in the great outdoors.
Cataloochee Ski Area
- The Cataloochee Ski Area is widely-known as a great resort for families, kids and anyone learning to ski and snowboard. Their Cat Trackers ski school has kids-only classes for all skill levels in skiing for ages 4-12 and snowboarding for ages 8-12. The staff is extraordinarily caring and patient, and is specially trained to teach young children. Maggie Valley chalets
are the perfect place to warm up and tell stories about the ski day over cups of hot chocolate.
From January onward, Wednesdays are Family Days, where you get a free children's lift ticket with each paid adult. For beginners of any age, Cataloochee offers a beginner lesson free with your equipment rental Monday thru Thursday (excluding holidays).
Be sure to download the Cataloochee coloring book from the Cataloochee Ski Area’s website before you go. Kids under 12 can turn in the completed book for a free CAT sticker and the chance to have their art shown on the website. Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Maggie Valley is directly south of Great Smoky Mountains National Park, home to a variety of outdoor family activities. In warmer months Cades Cove - near Gatlinburg, TN
- is a lovely meadow filled with flowers and a great place for a family day trip and bike ride. The loop road is especially good for family rides on Wednesday and Saturday mornings when it is closed to motorized vehicles until 10 am. You can rent bikes and helmets at the Cades Cove Campground Store.
Kids 5-12 can become a Junior Ranger. Once you complete the activities in the Junior Ranger booklet (found at the Cades Cove campground or any park visitor center), bring it to a visitor center and a ranger will reward you with your own Junior Ranger badge.
The park offers a number of Ranger-led programs for children The Night Hike is especially fun for kids who love to explore the dark with a flashlight. The Oconaluftee Visitor Center, two miles north of Cherokee to the east of Maggie Valley, is the best place to get information and sign up for programs.
Maggie Valley Kids Activities at Historic Sites and Museums
Oconaluftee Indian Village - The Oconaluftee Indian Village is an entertaining way to teach kids about the Native American history of the area. This replica of a 1760 Cherokee village comes to life with reenactments and activities from the past. Kids can create something neat to take home in the “Hands-On Cherokee” pottery classes Monday through Saturday. There are also displays of traditional dance and medicine, and guided tours of the village every fifteen minutes.
Wheels through Time Museum - If your kids love all things on wheels, then the Wheels through Time Museum in Maggie Valley is a must. The museum has one of the country's top vintage motorcycle collections, as well as displays of vintage cars and dirt bikes. Please note that the museum is closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
Cabins like these in Maggie Valley are perfect for your family vacation:
Welcome to Creekside Hideaway I!
Located in the heart of Maggie Valley, Creekside Hideaway I is a gorgeous authentic log cabin on a huge private wooded lot in a quiet neighborhood. Let the rushing creeks lull you into peaceful serenity while you ...
Splendid woodland, Two bedroom, Two bathrroms, Air Conditioned, Smoky Mountain Retreat nestled on a quiet wooded lot relaxing to the sounds of a peaceful stream nearby while nature's wonderland surrounds you. You are only minutes from the main roa...
BABY BEAR'S CABIN is located in the heart of The Smoky Mountains, as well as the heart of Maggie Valley! This Cabin sits on the very top of our community without the view of the other homes. You don't have to go miles outside of Maggie Valley to '...
Stone cabin that reminds you of a fairytale. Relax in the hot tub overlooking mountains & rushing creek. 120 feet of rushing creek front. Hear and see variety of birds. Watch the chipmunks and bunnies playing in gorgeous yard. Smell the flowe...
Make this fully-furnished cabin your next relaxation destination…a newly built 4000 square foot luxury getaway that features 4 bedrooms, 4-1/2 bathrooms, a recreation room with numerous game tables, spacious outdoor patios, laundry room, gas firep...