Jackson Hole, WyomingJackson Hole's beautiful mountain scenery, combined with an Old Western feel, make for a unique atmosphere that is both adventurous and cosmopolitan. With one of America's highest vertical drops (1,262 meters), Jackson Hole Mountain Resort is a must-visit for all ski and snowboard enthusiasts. Sightseeing lift tickets range from $10 to $25. Tickets to J ackson Hole's National Museum of Wildlife Art is also quite affordable, at $12.
Park City offers a number of world-class ski resorts, which means a number of options for your budget - Canyons Resort , Deer Valley Resort , and Park City Mountain Resort - for all ages. If skiing is not your thing, check out:
Park City, Utah
- Horse-drawn sleigh rides through the scenic mountains with Park City Mountain Resort.
- Hot air balloon rides with Park City Balloon Adventures .
- Sundance Film Festival held for two weeks each January where you can search for Hollywood stars before heading home to your vacation rental.
- It only costs $10 to visit the Park City Museum , and you can enjoy the Alpine Coaster and Alpine Slide for $25.
Stowe, VermontStowe Mountain Resort is the home of Mount Mansfield, Vermont's highest mountain at 1,339 meters. Stowe has trails for people of all levels; the famous "Front Four" trails challenges intermediate and expert skiers while the lower altitude Spruce Peak is great for beginners. Stowe is also home to some of the most extensive trails on the East Coast, making it a perfect destination for snowshoeing. Meanwhile, cyclists, joggers, and skiers enjoy rides down the Stowe Recreation Path , and scenic breaks or picnics along the way, for free. Weissner Woods offers up another trail open for hikers and the like, as well.
The White Mountains of New Hampshire is a great weekend destination for a number of reasons:
White Mountains, New Hampshire
Skiers can enjoy Mt. Washington , the highest peak in the northeastern United States (at 1,917 meters). History buffs should check out Bretton Woods , the site of the UN Monetary and Financial Conference in 1944.
Gondola rides at Heavenly Mountain , ice skating at Heavenly Village , and dogsled rides with Husky Express make Heavenly a great winter destination for family vacations. As an added bonus, Heavenly is home David Walley's Hot Springs , featuring natural mineral pools perfect after a day of winter activities.
Taos is a popular ski destination, and visitors can enjoy a number of unique opportunities, including
Taos, New Mexico
- Beginner ski lessons at the famous Taos Ski Valley Ski School .
- Llama trekking trips with Wild Earth Llama Adventures .
- Alpine skiing at Red River Ski Area .