January vacations typically fall into two categories. They are either a celebration of the winter season, or a reprieve from its cold and snow. Five locales that fall into each category are included in the 10 best January vacations listed below. Your getaway will be perfect if you settle into one of the excellent vacation rentals available in these areas.
Winter Celebration Vacations
Snow-covered mountain retreats call to those who long for days on the slopes and evenings in front of a cozy fireplace with a hot cup of cocoa. These world-class ski resort communities earn their spots in the 10 best January vacations with all the best the winter season holds.
- Whistler, British Columbia, Canada – Recently awarded the top spot on Skiing magazine’s best North American resorts list, the Whistler Four Seasons Resort in British Columbia is Canada’s largest ski resort, with more than 200 trails.
- Bretton Woods, New Hampshire – Mount Washington Resort in Bretton Woods is one of the most family-friendly ski resorts in North America and a perfect destination for a January getaway. With skiing, snowboarding, ice skating and even ice climbing to choose from, you’ll find plenty to keep the entire family happy during winter break.
- Aspen, Colorado – Aspen boasts four mountains with widely varied terrain, as well as world-class service and a booming nightlife. Aspen plays host to numerous events throughout the year and January is no exception, with the Wintersköl celebration of Aspen’s Nordic cultural roots held annually in January.
- Manchester, Vermont – Manchester Village is the home of the Equinox, a four-season resort that features cross-country skiing, ice skating, snowshoe treks, sleigh rides and much more. The Equinox stretches more than 1,200 acres between Stratton and Bromley mountains.
- Taos, New Mexico – The Taos Ski Valley offers the best of both worlds in terms of winter vacations. Not only does the ski valley afford world-class skiing to visitors, but the climate off-mountain is mild and comfortable, even in January.
Winter Escape Destinations
While most of the Northern Hemisphere is experiencing the chill of winter, it’s summer south of the equator. These surefire warm-weather and sunny-skies destinations earn their place among the 10 best January vacations by virtue of their tropical splendor.
- Belize – From its Caribbean coastline, soft sandy beaches and expansive coral reefs to its abundant lagoons, lowland forests and Mayan Mountain peaks, Belize has no shortage of natural wonders. Temperatures range from 75 to 85 degrees in January, making Belize the perfect destination for escaping North America’s harsh winter conditions.
- Costa Rica – Learn about pre-Columbian history, explore the country’s extensive national parks or simply relax on the shores of some of the best beaches in the world. Warm waters, brilliant sunshine and a welcoming atmosphere make Costa Rica a prime destination for a January getaway.
- Hawaii – The weather is near perfect in Hawaii year-round. Island hop or lounge away your entire January vacation on the beach and in the comforts of your beachside bungalow. No matter how you spend your island getaway, you’ll find the culture pleasant, sun warm and views breathtaking in Hawaii.
- New Zealand – New Zealand has one of the most diverse landscapes of any island nation in the world. From snow-covered mountain peaks to rich, lush forests, the outdoor enthusiast can fill several vacations with all the exciting venues New Zealand has to explore.
- Tahiti – If a languid escape from the bitter cold is what you have in mind for your January getaway, there is no better spot than Tahiti. With its brilliant blue waters, striking cliffs and gorgeous green forests, Tahiti truly is a Polynesian paradise.
Belize Beach Rentals for a Warm January Vacation
White Sands Cove Ocean Front 2 Bedroom condominium is a completely furnished condominium that sits just 15 steps from the water's edge with spectacular views of the sea. This condominium offers 2 bedrooms (one king and one queen bed) and two bath...
White Sands Cove Lagoon View Suite is a beautifully decorated studio suite that sits back from the water's edge with areal views of the lagoon, as well as offering privacy due to the indigenous foliage that surrounds it. This suite offers 1 bed, ...
White Sands Cove Lagoon View One Bedroom condominium is a completely furnished condominium that sits back from the water's edge with views of the lagoon and pool, as well as offering privacy due to the indigenous foliage that surrounds it. This c...
White Sands Cove Ocean Front One Bedroom condominium is a completely furnished condominium that sits just 15 steps from the water's edge with spectacular views of the Sea. This condominium offers 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom, a fully-equipped kitchen...
White Sands Cove Poolside One Bedroom condominium is a completely furnished condominium that sits just 100 steps from the water's edge with views of the sea, pool, and dock. This condominium offers 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom, afully-equipped kitche...