Sundance Film Festival
January 16-26, 2014
Headquarters at Park City Marriott
Venues include Eccles Theatre, Holiday Village Cinemas, and many more
Park City, UT
Lights, Camera, Action!
Turn up the lights, focus the camera, and get in on the action. Join more than 50,000 film buffs this year for the famed Park CIty Film Festival - Sundance.
If you’re a true cinema buff, you're no doubt already beginning to plan your trip to upcoming Park City in January. On the other hand, if you’re new to Sundance, get ready now to make this year’s festival your first of many!
Sundance is the biggest annual independent-film festival held in the United States. It receives about 12,000 submissions and shows 200 films in a variety of types and genres: shorts, documentaries, international films, features, experimental, animated, and more. The event attracts cinema fans from around the world. You’re making the right move by starting your planning process early. Get updates on tickets, films and times at Sundance's website, find Park City lodging on our vacation rental pages, and relax, knowing your trip will go off without a hitch and you’ll be able to experience all the festival has to offer.
Where Is the Sundance Festival?
The Sundance Institute, the non-profit organizational body that hosts the annual festival, is based in Utah, which is also home to the annual film festival. Screenings of film entrants occur in Salt Lake City, Ogden, Park City and the Sundance Resort northeast of Provo, Utah. However, Park City is the permanent seat of the festival’s annual activities and the destination for your upcoming immersion into independent-film appreciation.
Park City, Utah, about 30 miles southeast of Salt Lake City, has a population of nearly 8,000 permanent residents, but during the festival that number rises significantly as thousands of visitors arrive from around the world.
What Happens During the Festival?
The ten festival days include celebrations at the opening of films, as well as other special events throughout Park City. Keep an eye out for announcements for this year!
Notable Scheduled Events
- Festival Opening Weekend – The festivities are kicked off January 16-19 with film screenings in the short and full-length categories, and the opening of New Frontier, a multimedia film experience recently incorporated into Sundance’s annual activities.
- “An Artist at the Table” – This fundraising dinner and celebration January 16, 2014 is an intimate evening of cocktails, dinner and performances by the Sundance Institute’s artists. In attendance will be filmmakers, artists and actors featured at the Film Festival.
- Closing Day – The festival wraps up at the annual Reception and Awards Ceremony at the Basin Recreation Center Fieldhouse. The international film community juries bestow multiple awards in both the dramatic and documentary film categories. Audience Awards decided by festival attendees are also announced during the ceremony.
Awards Night Party – Held at the Basin Recreation Center Fieldhouse, the awards party is a celebration of the work featured throughout the festival, with patrons, guests, actors and filmmakers all in attendance.
- For Utah Locals: Best of Fest Screenings - Best of Fest screenings on Monday January 27 are free and for local Utah residents only. Proof of residency (a Utah driver's license) is required.
Also in Park City in January
- Olympic Park is open and offering public bobled rides starting in December. With a professional driver in control, you and two other passengers will hit speeds of up to 80 miles-per-hour and get your adrenaline pumping on a thrilling minute-long ride.
- Another independent film festival hits Park City every January: the Slamdance Film Festival runs from January 17-23, 2014, at the Treasure Mountain Inn.
- Of course, skiing and snowboarding at Park City Mountain Resort. Never been, or it's been a while? Classes are available for all ages and skill levels.