Things to Do in Las Vegas
Fun Comes in Many FormsOverwhelmed by all the things to do in Las Vegas? After all, things to do in Las Vegas range from bar hopping to roller coaster riding – the only common denominator is fun. Although the city caters to anyone of any age group, though, Las Vegas is a playground for adults and offers a wide array of adult activities to indulge in.
The casinos in Las Vegas are a huge part of what keeps the city functioning, and for decades they have been the engine that makes it thrive. On any day of the year you will find thousands of people at the casinos trying their luck for money and prizes. And it’s not just visitors; you’ll find a lot of locals, too. The casinos can add a real sense of excitement to the lives of vacationers who don't regularly get to enjoy the fun of slot machines, cards, craps, and other games of chance. Money is flowing and fortunes are being won and lost every minute of the day and night. You may walk out with a smile or without any money in your pocket, but no matter what, it’s always great fun, so be sure and to put aside some money for gambling. There are hundreds of casinos and over 70 of them have hotels. The hotels are free for you to explore, but make sure to stay overnight in one of our Las Vegas vacation rentals - offering up a lot more space, luxury, and amenities. Of all things to do in Las Vegas, sightseeing in the casinos and hotels tops the list – and it doesn’t cost a penny to do so.
Adventure Dome Theme Park
Looking for family-friendly things to do in Las Vegas? This park features a number of rides like the Canyon Blaster, Sling Shot and the Rim Runner. There is also a 4-D movie theatre offering up a good show, especially when you want to beat the heat for a while. The entire theme park is located inside a huge dome, sort of like a stadium. The Canyon Blaster is the only indoor double-loop, double corkscrew roller coaster, and roars through Adventuredome at a speed of 55 mph. Riders have to be at least 48 inches (four feet) tall to ride. The Rim Runner is another awesome ride that will leave you not just feeling great, but wet, too. This ride goes all the way up to a 60-foot waterfall drop and is a fast and furious ride to the bottom. The Sling Shot is for those brave souls who want to know how it feels to fly. This ride will blast you up its tower with four Gs of acceleration, and then drop you all the way back down for a gnarly head rush. This ride is also for riders 48 inches or taller.
The Grand Canyon
If you are visiting Las Vegas and would like to take a break from the action, take a short trip to one of the most breathtaking spectacles that Mother Nature has created: the Grand Canyon in Arizona. To say it is awe-inspiring does not do justice to awe. It is an entirely different world that has been carved out of the earth over a 5.4 million-year time span. The Grand Canyon has been captivating audiences for centuries and continues to win the hearts of millions of visitors every year. Many great ecological discoveries have been made in the region over the centuries due to the Colorado River cutting its way through the canyon, allowing archeologists access to explore. The Grand Canyon is well worth the time to visit, and should not be missing from a list of things to do in Las Vegas.
A list of things to do In Las Vegas wouldn't be complete without mentioning food. Discover the city's fine restaurants and buffets in our guide to Las Vegas dining.
Events in Las VegasVegas’ constellation of stars includes the biggest names in music, comedy, Broadway theatre, dancing, acting, magic and variety. Forget things to do in Las Vegas, there is so much to see…
Regular Las Vegas Headliners
- Ultimate Manilow : The Hits. Barry Manilow puts on a show at various times of the year, thrilling old fans and making new ones all the time with a show that is a big production, not just a singer’s lounge act.
- The Blue Man Group, Disney’s Lion King, and Cirque du Soleil’s productions are some of the incredibly entertaining stage shows you will find around. Cirque du Soleil itself has three permanent shows running concurrently: “Zumanity,” “Ka,” and “O.”
- Funny lady Rita Rudner performs her stand up routine live in concert all around the calendar. Other comedians including Dennis Miller, Jay Leno and Louie Anderson are regulars, as are most top-rated comedians.
- Bette Midler’s show, The Showgirl Must Go On, is another regularly scheduled extravaganza from the “Divine Miss M.” Other entertainers like Donny and Marie, Gordie Brown, Cher and (yes) Wayne Newton grace the stages every month of the year, too.
- Criss Angel, Mindfreak,is one of the biggest hits in town, packing them in all year-round for his amazing illusions and mind-reading act. David Copperfield, Lance Burton and Penn & Teller are among the other huge magic acts in town.
- Rock bands, soul acts, gospel groups, comedians, and the biggest names in the world of entertainment appear up and down the Strip, and off of it, every day of the year. From Carlos Santana to AC/DC, from Smokey Robinson to Elton John, the world’s biggest stars make Las Vegas a star of its own. Las Vegas is such a great entertainment venue listing the number and variety of even the regularly occurring shows is too long.
Local Las Vegas FlavorLas Vegas is not just a gambling Mecca. It also has a growing population that desires and offers the same cultural and family-oriented events and activities wanted by any other American city. The cultural and artistic venues are full of great exhibits every season, and vacationers can enjoy every kind of non-gambling fun, even educational interests, night and day, year-round. That means there are a wealth of family-friendly things to do in Las Vegas, so Las Vegas vacation rentals really do welcome all.
- The Las Vegas Youth Orchestras consists of four ensembles based on age (8 - 18) and playing ability. It holds concerts at various places at times year-round.
- The Nevada Arts Council is a division of the Nevada Department of Cultural Affairs. It supports the work of many types of Nevada artists, as well as arts organizations and other institutions. The Council coordinates exhibitions of painting, sculpture and folk arts, and helps promote the fine arts and performance arts in the growing community in and around Las Vegas.
- Preseason NBA basketball games are scheduled regularly in the city.
- There are always great Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) and “ultimate fighting” events held in the city. Professional and amateur bouts are scheduled year-round, and championship tourneys take place here, as well.
- World's Largest Flip Cup Tournament. Sixty-four flip cup teams from across the U.S. come to Las Vegas every year (check schedule online) to compete for Jamaican vacations, cruises to the Grand Cayman islands—and everlasting fame, of course!
- Every December, the Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon & Half Marathon brings high-energy and rocking tunes that have folks rollin' from start to finish on an action-packed course.