Best of Flagstaff, Arizona
Six of the Best Things about Flagstaff
Arizona is a gorgeous western gem, a state filled with fascinating history, modern cities that glitter beneath the unerring sun, and some of the most stunning natural landscape in the world. Vacation in Flagstaff, one of Arizona's luckiest cities. It rests amidst unspoiled natural beauties like those of the Coconino National Forest, the Red Rocks of Sedona, and the towering San Francisco Peaks. National parks and famous monuments, like the Grand Canyon, are a short drive away.
You know Flagstaff is a natural beauty, but did you know it offers fabulous arts, culture, shopping, and entertainment? Perhaps you should take a look at some of the best Flagstaff has to offer; a getaway sounds pretty good, doesn't it?
No visit to Flagstaff would be worth it if you skipped the experience of enjoying its natural splendor. The desert landscape is tranquil and relaxing, while the mountains are picturesque and adventurous.
- Grand Canyon National Park – This world famous natural wonder is frequently the sole reason visitors flock to Flagstaff. Flagstaff's own attractions and its proximity to the Grand Canyon make it a perfect base. You've seen the pictures, but nothing can compare to the experience of seeing the Grand Canyon up close. The South Rim is the most popular spot of the canyon; you can access good vantage points on foot. Wear comfy shoes and take it slow; the altitude can be tiring. Guided tours are available.
- Arizona Snowbowl – "Skiing" and "Arizona"? Two words you never thought would go together mingle perfectly at Snowbowl, which hosts skiing from about December through March. Sans snow, Arizona Snowbowl hosts nature lovers who enjoy hiking and championship golf. The Skyride carries riders aloft to the highest point in Arizona; little squirmers or the acrophobic may want to enjoy the fun on the ground.
- Lowell Observatory – Some of nature's wonders can't be fully experienced on the ground, though. Lowell Observatory is a renowned astronomical research facility, which made the discovery of now denounced Pluto. In addition to being a fully functional lab, the observatory offers tours, exhibits, multimedia programs, and of course, absolutely amazing star gazing.
The CityscapeNot all of Flagstaff's attractions are of the natural kind; the city has a pleasing array of activities that will keep everyone happy.
- Downtown Flagstaff Historic District – Filled with architectural grandeur of the late nineteenth century, Flagstaff's historic district is home to the city's best shopping and entertainment. A wide variety of unique, eclectic, and specialty boutiques, galleries, clothing stores, and bookstores line the streets. Come sundown, the area's restaurants and microbreweries come alive, as does the live entertainment.
- Museum of Northern Arizona – The perfect initiation to your Arizona vacation, the Museum of Northern Arizona is a fabulous place for visitors (especially those with kids) to get an interesting inside look at the culture and history of northern Arizona. Exhibits cover geology, biology, and Native American culture, and special programs allow you to enjoy expert-guided traverses into area landscapes.
- Heritage Square – Located in the heart of downtown Flagstaff, Heritage Square is the beautiful, brick covered spot that hosts fabulous free events for everyone. Considered a local gathering spot, you can enjoy live music, Movies on the Square, and outdoor concert series at the amphitheater. Exhibits, art, shopping, sweet treats, and picnic spots are fun even without any scheduled events.
You have six fabulous reasons to make Flagstaff your getaway destination. Book a vacation cottage and get ready to find the hidden gems waiting for you in and around Flagstaff.