Christmas in Kauai
Ten Ways to Celebrate the Holidays on Kauai this Winter
Many people enjoy spending the holiday season in the tropics. If you prefer swaying palm trees over snow-covered pines, Kauai is the place to be. Of course, just because you’re on a balmy island for the holidays doesn’t mean you have to miss out on wonderful seasonal events. Kauai hosts a plethora of holiday-themed events. You’ll be close to all the holiday activities when you book a Kauai vacation rental. The best part about staying in a Kauai rental is the home-like feeling you’ll have during this special time of year.
Give Thanks - Kauai Holiday Events in November
- Hyatt Holiday Craft Fair - Travelers to Kauai in late November can start the season by visiting the Hyatt Holiday Craft Fair, where more than 60 crafters display their wares. Items include Niihau shell leis, lauhala woven picture frames and Koa wood jewelry.
Celebrate the Season - Kauai Holiday Events in December
- Christmas Craft Fair and Wreath Exhibit – This festive event takes place on the first Friday and Saturday of December. The Parade of Lights kicks off the festivities, and afterwards the trees at the county building are lit. Hawaiian music, hula dancing, local cuisine and a wreath display are also featured at the event.
- Santa and Mrs. Claus at the County Building – It’s a fun time for the whole family when Santa and Mrs. Claus greet the little ones at the county building on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings in December. Children can have their pictures taken with jolly old Santa, which makes a lovely souvenir to take home.
- Lights on Rice Parade – This annual parade on Rice Street features more than 40 lighted floats. When you’re there, be sure to check out the culinary delights at the food booths and get some gifts at the Kaua’i Museum Christmas Craft Fair.
- Annual Waimea Christmas Parade – Another enjoyable holiday parade, the Waimea Christmas Parade, is held on December 23rd every year. To kick off the festivities, fire engines take the lead of this lighted parade brigade.
- Waimea Craft Fair - The old Waimea Sugar Mill is home to the Waimea Craft Fair. Every Thursday through Saturday during the holiday season, you can pick up one-of-a-kind crafts. Live entertainment and scrumptious food are also proffered.
Unique Kauai Holiday Events
- Audubon Christmas Bird Count – This is a unique event that occurs annually in late December. You’ll start out at the Koke’e Museum and make your way through lush, secluded island landscapes in search of native birds. What a great way to spend your Christmas—having fun and volunteering for a good cause.
- Monthly Star Watch - Don’t miss the chance to see the December sky in Hawaii. Kauai’s location is excellent for stargazing, and the Kauai Educational Association for Science and Astronomy hosts Monthly Star Watch. An informational meeting is held every month at 6 p.m. on the Saturday closest to the new moon. The star watch begins at sunset.
- The Holiday Hula Celebration - Held in the Grand Ballroom of the Kauai Marriott Resort and Beach Club, the Holiday Hula Celebration is a don’t-miss event. Holiday songs, traditional Hawaiian music, hula dancing and chanting are performed by children and adults. You can participate in contests and a silent auction.
- Kauai Coffee – The Kauai Coffee Plantation gives tours on Christmas Eve from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The plantation is known for its gorgeous views and you’ll be able to taste the aromatic estate coffees. A gift shop is located on the premises where you can buy those last-minute gifts.