Top Attractions and Activities in the Florida Everglades
A trip to the Everglades is a good bet for nature buffs, adventurous souls, and fun lovers alike. With legendary airboat tours, alligators aplenty, and miles and miles of marshlands and mangrove trees, there's nothing quite like the Florida Everglades. However, planning a visit to such a sweeping stretch of Southern Florida has its challenges. That's why we've rounded up the very best things to do in the Florida Everglades. From exciting hikes to bizarre attractions, you're in for the itinerary of a lifetime.
- Where to Stay
- Tours by Water
- Hiking Trails
- Everglades Safari Park
- Coral Castle
- Everglades Alligator Farm
- Homestead Miami Speedway
- Wannado City
Browse our Everglades vacation rentals here:
- East Naples vacation rentals
- Lely vacation rentals
- Marco Island vacation rentals
- Miami/Homestead area vacation rentals
- Fort Lauderdale vacation rentals
Want to know if your vacation rental will be close enough for your trip to the Everglades? Check out these properties and reviews of rentals people have stayed in:
Reviews of vacations rentals near the Everglades:
- Paradise at Tigertail Beach Watefront Villa
- Miami Beach Condo Rental
- Fort Myers Beach Vacation Townhouse Rental
- Key Largo Oceanfront Mansion
- Naples Lakeside Vacation Home
- Marco Island Villa Rental at Marco Beach Ocean Resort
- Marco Island Condo Rental at San Marco Residences
- Placida Vacation Townhome Rental
- Marco Island Paradise Vacation Home
- Bonita Springs Vacation Condo Rental
- Buffalo Tiger's Airboat Tours - Along with the views, enjoy some Native American history as told by a real tribesman.
- Wilderness Waterway - Whether you're up for a challenging canoe or easygoing power boat ride, this 90-mile stretch of water, meandering through saw grass marshland and mini islands, is well worth a trip.
- Buttonwood Canal - This man-made waterway features excellent views of mangrove trees, and even the occasional alligator.
- Chokoloskee Bay - This popular canoe spot boasts a wide variety of local plant and wildlife.
- Snake Bight - No worries; "Bight" as in bay. Also featuring a trail, this bay is engulfed by all sorts of native trees, though the hardwoood hammocks steal the spotlight.
- Shark River Slough - This 100-mile-long river can't be missed, as it's the main wetland of the Everglades.
- Nine-Mile Pond Trail - Canoe through two ponds bulging with wildlife, including alligators; as a bonus, this trail's easy for beginners.
- Flamingo Boat Tours - Get away to the back country and enjoy a well-rounded Florida Everglades nature experience.
- Speedy's Airboat Tours - What makes this company so unique is its small boats - you're guaranteed an intimate and personalized adventure here.
- Everglades Island Airboat Tours - Locals will take you through the Everglades "jungles."
Naples and Marco Island, are great for leisurely days of fishing. Countless fishing guides, like Captain Jay's Charters (out of Goodland) and Everglades Kayak Fishing (out of Everglades City), will ensure your angling adventure a successful and memorable one.
Back to top
- Anhinga Trail - Want to see lots of wildlife? Then head down this self-guided trail, featuring everything from alligators to herons to turtles. The Anhinga Trail is actually named after its most popular resident, a bird also knows as the "snakegrass." Tip: the hike is most lively in the wintertime.
- Shark Valley - Tour the Shark Valley area by foot, bike, or tram. With a variety of trails to choose from, you're in for a variety of sights - the canopy forests a highlight.
- Pa-hay-okee Trail - A raised boardwalk takes you through stunning views of the Everglades' "river of grass" and the Bald Cypress Forest.
- Coastal Prairie Trail - If you love a challenge, then you'll love this old dirt road - brave the winter mosquitoes, and the summer heat for views that are really worth it. You'll get to know almost all the native trees, like mangroves and cactus, and get a feel for what Florida's first Spanish explores ventured upon in the 1500s.
- Gumbo Limbo Trails - This is the Florida Everglades' brand of jungle. A mix of saw grass marsh and hardwood hammock trees makes this one a super scenic and even family-friendly hike.
- Eco Pond Trail - If you're looking for a short and sweet hike, this one's for you. Take in the sights of songbirds and other wildlife in and around this beautiful pond.
ahead of time, though, if you wish. In addition to the airboat rides, visitors are treated to the Everglades Safari Wildlife Nature Show , where they can meet the native wildlife - from alligators to snakes. Meanwhile, Gator Island is home to a slew of crocodiles, and the Jungle Walking Trail is great for bird watching. Hungry? The Everglades Safari Park has you covered there, too - check out the Picnic Restaurant , where you can dine on a dock with views of the Everglades. And make sure to stop by Everglades Safari Gifts on your way out so you won't soon forget your stay.
Back to top
Back to top
the Homestead Miami Speedway , the host of championship races year after year. If you'd like to get behind the wheel, sign up for the Richard Petty Driving Experience , and go for a drive or ride-along, reliving one of five championship races. The view of Miami Beach from the track is a nice plus.
Back to top
Doral Resort's Blue Monster, Red, White, and Gold golf courses in Doral, as well as the Redland Golf and Country Club in Homestead. HomeAway even has vacation rentals within minutes of golf courses in Doral
Back to top
East Naples Rentals near the Everglades
Naples Florida Vacation Homes' Sorrento villa is a newly constructed, two-story courtyard home with high-end finishes galore -- available for daily rentals, weekly rentals and monthly rentals.
Book online right now! Or feel free to j...
Naples Florida Vacation Homes' fresh, pristine Tuscan beach cottage comfortably accommodates 2-8 guests in this 3 bedroom / 2 bath tropical property, readily available for daily rentals, weekly rentals and monthly rentals.
Guests keep coming back to our meticulous NEAPOLITAN, walk to Vanderbilt Beach or The Mercato from this prime location!
Naples Florida Vacation Homes' Neapolitan vacation house is a beautiful, newly built property which features a private backyard pool, and is just a short walk to award-winning Gulf shore beaches.
Book online right now! Or feel free t...