Things to Do in Myrtle Beach When it Rains
There is not shortage of things to do in Myrtle Beach when it rains!
But what if it rains? Vacations might be curtailed or spoiled by Mother Nature’s refusal to cooperate. Fortunately, you won’t be hiding from the weather in your Myrtle Beach vacation home, because there is no shortage of things to do in Myrtle Beach when it rains.
WonderworksWonderworks is a kind of bizarro science museum, and it’s an attraction you shouldn’t miss even if it doesn’t rain. The exhibits inside are designed to engage intellectual curiosity and to inspire a sense of wonder. Everything inside teaches kids (and adults) something about physics, chemistry, space travel, or something else of that nature.
There is an anti-gravity chamber, where water appears to flow upward at the touch of a button, and the hurricane shack, which allows visitors to experience what it would feel like to stand outside in the eighty-four-mile-per-hour winds of a Category 1 hurricane. Visitors can try a game of “Mind-ball,” which utilizes EEG technology to enable players to use the power of their minds to move a ball back and forth across a table.
Broadway at the BeachVisitors looking for things to do in the heart of Myrtle Beach when it rains should plan a visit to Broadway at the Beach, the city’s gigantic shopping and entertainment complex. It has a number of indoor amusements to keep any family busy for an entire day.
- Ripley’s Aquarium – Get up close to big sharks in the acrylic underwater tunnel, swim with stingrays, touch sea life in the Discovery Center and experience an endless variety of beautiful fish from the Amazon River, Pacific Ocean and other habitats.
- Bodies Revealed – This fascinating exhibit allows you to peer into the systems and organs of actual human specimens, layer by layer.
- Magiquest – A completely unique experience, Magiquest is a live-action role-playing game in which players match wits and swords against dragons, wizards, and goblins.
- Theme Restaurants – At the Hard Rock Café you can dine on comfort food and view decades of rock n’ roll memorabilia, including Elvis Presley’s cape and guitars from BB King, Eric Clapton and Carlos Santana. If you prefer KISS gear with your cappucino, head to the KISS Coffeehouse, or if movie memorabilia is more your style, Planet Hollywood is onsite too.
- Also - escape dreary weather in movie theaters (including an IMAX theater), a candy shop, and even an arcade!
The Carolina OpryThe Carolina Opry is an entertainment extravaganza featuring live music, dance, comedy, a laser light show, and much more, set in an exquisite 2,200-seat theater. The show has been lavishly praised by the New York Times, San Francisco Examiner, USA Today and many others. Tickets are pretty reasonable, too; there are packages available that offer two shows for as little as $25.
The Gay Dolphin Gift CoveIf you love weird, kitschy, and just plain cool stuff, browsing in the Gay Dolphin, the self-proclaimed largest gift shop in America, is one of the best things to do in Myrtle Beach when it rains. It's retail grazing at its best. Items range from seashells to hairbrushes for bald men, and there's an entire section devoted to Elvis merchandise. The Gay Dolphin occasionally carries larger items as well—they once had a $7,000 dolphin fountain and a life-size cigar-store Indian.
Legends in ConcertLegends in Concert presents tribute acts that look and sound exactly like our favorite performers. Featured artists include look-and-sound-alike artists covering Paul McCartney, Elvis Presley, Aretha Franklin, Barbara Streisand, Aerosmith, Barry White, the Blues Brothers, David Bowie, Prince and Van Halen
MuseumsMuseums are a time-honored way to spend rainy days, and Myrtle Beach has quite a few, including the Children’s Museum where kids can learn about such diverse subjects as art, electricity, and South Carolina’s fragile ecosystems. There is also the Myrtle Beach Art Museum, which celebrates its fifteenth anniversary in 2012.
The rain doesn't stop the fun in Myrtle Beach. For more travel tips and info on Myrtle Beach things to do, be sure to check out our travel ideas and event guides - and have fun on the beach - no matter what the weather!