Warm Up to Winter at Aspen's Winterskol Festival
Downtown Aspen Festivities for All - Even the Dogs
Winterskol, Aspen’s celebration of winter, began in 1951. Founded by Jack DePagter, the event was based on the winter carnivals of European ski resorts. The celebration honors the unique aspects of Aspen’s Nordic way of life. Winterskol is now a four-day festival in the snowy mountains of Colorado featuring everything from a snow-sculpting competition to a canine fashion show.
Overview of the Main Winterskol EventsThe festival kicks off with the Aspen Chamber Resort Association Opening Luncheon where members and non-members are all welcome.
Wintersculpt - This challenging 48-hour snow sculpture competition showcases the amazing work of teams who create freestanding sculptures made from 8’ x 8’ x 8’ blocks of snow. The center also hosts Kidsculpt, where children get the chance to sculpt blocks of snow, too. You'll definitely want to stop by to see kids at their creative best.
Soupskol - is an annual soup competition among Aspen’s restaurants. Make your way over to the competition to sample a free bowl of delicious, hearty, steaming soup from the competitors. The Soup Bowl Trophy is awarded to the restaurant that gets the most votes.
Winterfest - is one of the most popular events of the entire festival. You can enjoy free family fun such as a canine fashion show and a skating party. Face painters and clowns will entertain the kids, and a beer garden will be available for the adults.
Do Good - You can also help raise money for a good cause by attending Winterskol Hike for Hope Uphill on Buttermilk Mountain. Every penny raised goes to help those with muscular dystrophy. A pancake breakfast is held after the hike.
You Will Love Aspen, Colorado
Winterskol takes place throughout downtown Aspen. The Wheeler Opera House, located at 320 E. Hyman Avenue, hosts many of the main attractions. Mill Street Mall, Gondola Plaza and Cooper Avenue are within walking distance of the opera house. You’ll be able to travel on foot between most venues. Depending on where your Aspen vacation rental is located, you may need a car to attend the events at places like McBride Ranch, Buttermilk Mountain and Snowmass Base Village.
Getting Around Winterskol
Typical Events Rundown
- Aspen Chamber Resort Association Opening Luncheon - This opening event takes place from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the St. Regis Hotel.
- Wintersculpt - Sculpting kicks off at 4 p.m. at the Aspen Mall.
- 7 p.m. Events at the Wheeler Opera House.
- Kidsculpt - Head to the Mill Street Mall for this fantastic children’s competition.
- Men’s Health and Women’s Health Village - Aspen Gondola Plaza hosts relaxation services from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Après Ski - Base Camp Bar & Grille - Between 2:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., you can enjoy free drinks and live music at Snowmass Base Village.
- Soupskol - Hot soup will warm you up at Cooper Avenue and Hunter Street between 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Winterfest - From 12 p.m. until 8:30 p.m., Aspen’s Cooper Avenue Mall comes alive with performances, competitions and family fun.
- Evening Benefit Event at the Wheeler Opera House.
- Hike For Hope Uphill - The uphill begins at 7:30 a.m.