Five Best Lake Tahoe Ski Resort Activities for Kids
The ski resorts of Lake Tahoe are spectacular. With 300 to 500 inches of snow each winter, the slopes are always ready and fresh all season long. For many, Lake Tahoe is a destination, not just a ski slope. It offers activities for the whole family to enjoy. When you are ready for pristine skiing, bring the kids, as well. The whole family will have a Tahoe vacation to remember, especially if you include these five best Lake Tahoe ski resort activities for kids.
1. Ski Lessons at Heavenly Ski ResortThe resort has your child in mind, no matter what the age. Its daycare is available for children as young as two months of age. At ages three and four, Heavenly offers introductory free-form snow time for your children. Under the watchful eyes of the caring staff, your child will experience snow on skis or a snowboard. The staff keeps the activity tailored to your child's appropriate skill level while allowing the participants to have fun in the snow. The resort also offers a range of ski lessons for all ages and slopes appropriate for every level. Find a Heavenly Valley rental for your ski trip.
2. The Magic Carpet at Soda SpringsAt Soda Springs, near Truckee, there is a whole section devoted to kids. If you plan to teach your child how to ski yourself, this is the place for you. The Magic Carpet is a child-friendly way to get your kids back to the top of the hill. It operates similar to a towline, but kids only need to step onto the carpet rather than trying to juggle poles while holding onto a rope. When your child needs a break, let him or her have some fun on the tube carousel, which replaces traditional horses and animals with snow tubes.
3. Snowmobiling at Kirkwood Mountain ResortStay in Kirkwood, where Thunder Mountain Kids Snowmobiles operates from below Chair-7 at Timber Creek. The mini snowmobiles can accommodate children up to 125 pounds, and kids can be in control of their very own machine. Nothing is more exciting to a child than being in control of a motor vehicle! Prior to using the snowmobile, your child will receive detailed training on safety procedures.
4. Freestyle Skiing at Sierra at TahoeThis is the place for freestyle skiing and riding. At Sierra, your child can cut loose and have fun on the slopes. The resort features the Superpipe, a long half pipe perfect for all levels of riders. Bashful Run has a great mix of medium and large jumps, rails, creeper towers, butter pads and more, all over a very long trail.
5. Sledding and Tubing at Boreal Mountain ResortAnyone with a hill and snow can enjoy sledding and tubing; however, these activities are never as fun as when experienced on the big slopes of a mountain. With a moving carpet to pull you back up the slope, you get all the fun without the work. The resort maintains and regularly grooms the runs so you have a perfect ride every time. Boreal Mountain provides the equipment and offers a full day of sliding fun in the snow, and a Truckee vacation rental will give you the perfect after-tubing hangout. The runs tend to get faster as the sun goes down and the bumps seem to come at you unexpectedly.
Lake Tahoe ski resorts work hard to provide fun for the whole family. While your kids are having fun, take advantage of the amenities yourself. Great food and exciting entertainment are everywhere. With so many great activities nearby, you're sure to find something for everyone when you stay in a Lake Tahoe vacation rental, especially if you start with these five best Lake Tahoe ski resort activities for kids.
- Figure out where to make your home base with our North Tahoe v. South Lake Tahoe infographic.