Common and Quirky Wedding Traditions Infographic
Timeless Wedding TraditionsA look at the rather interesting customs of marriage celebrations.
Common and Quirky Customs
The DressTechnically, today's gowns aren't white, but "Candlelight," "Warm Ivory," "Ecru," or "Frost." The average cost of a wedding dress is $1,121. Brides once wore layers of fur, silk and velvet to show they came from a wealthy family. You may not want to spend a king's ransom on your big day, however. We've got help for planning weddings on a budget.
The Bride's BouquetSprinkling sugar on the bride's bouquet is supposed to calm her mood, but brides of yore sometimes carried herbs, garlic and dill to ward off evil spirits.
Good Luck TokensFrom the traditional English rhyme wishing the couple good fortune:
- Something Old - The item is meant to tie the bride to her family and to her past.
- Something New - A token representing being part of a new family.
- Something Borrowed - This item usually comes from a happily married woman with the hopes the bride will enjoy the same success.
- Something Blue - Faithfulness, loyalty and purity are represented by blue.
- And a Silver Sixpence in her Shoe.