When and Where to View Fall Foliage [Infographic]
Sometime around late September, autumn color begins to appear on the trees in New England and in the mountains out West. Make it a point to get out and enjoy the visual treat of the warm fall colors in the cool crisp air of the season!
Typically, the best time to start enjoying fall foliage is late September - this is when those pretty orange and red colors drape trees in New England and in the west. Peak viewing times land in October and the fall foliage season is over by November. Here are more details on when and where to view fall foliage.
What causes the colors to change?
- Shorter days mean less chlorophyll production, and new colors on leaves.
Peak Times by Region
- Southeast : Late October to Early November
- Northeast : Early to Mid October
- Midwest : Early to Mid October
- Northwest : Mid to Late October
Favorite Fall Activities
- 43% view fall foliage
- 29% visit wine vineyards
- 23% attend a fair or festival
Fall Foliage by RegionNortheast
- Maine's Route 17, from Rockland to Augusta
- Vermont's Routes 100, 107, 12, and 106, including Gaysville, Barnard, Woodstock, and Ludlow
- New York's Palisades Interstate Parkway along the Hudson River Valley
- Connecticut's Route 44, along Natchaug State Forest, and Route 154, through Old Saybrook
- North Carolina's Mount Mitchell and the surrounding Pisgah National Forest
- North Carolina's Route 276, south of Asheville
- North Carolina's Blue Ridge Parkway and the Virginia Shenandoah National Park off Interstate 81
- Maryland's Gambrill and Cunningham Falls State Parks and Sideling Hill, on Interstate 68
- Ohio's Hocking Hills along the Appalachian Mountains
- The Lake Superior Circle Route, spreading out across Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Ontario
- Wisconsin's Moraine State Forest, east of Madison
- The Rocky Mountains
- Montana's Highway 2, along Glacier National Park
- Oregon and Washington's Columbia and Snake Rivers
As you can see, when and where to view fall foliage depends on which region of the country you're visiting!