Consider taking your kids to one of the many of children's museums across the nation where you can teach your children to appreciate the arts and sciences while enjoying your vacation. Most children's museums are interactive and fun for adults too. Take a look at this list of the best museums for kids when you are planning your next family vacation.
The Children's Museum of IndianapolisWith 350,000 square feet of gallery space, this is one of the largest children's museums in the US. There are more than 10,000 artifacts and a wide variety of activities to take part in. One of the favorite activities is an exhibit where children can build a skeleton. The carousel is also a major hit. With 14 major exhibits, you and your kids can easily spend all day having fun in this museum before heading back to your Indianapolis vacation rental.
The Children's Museum of HoustonThis Houston museum for kids has dozens of different hands-on exhibits where your kids can have hours of fun. The entrance fee is minimal, and the museum is best for children ages four to eight although kids of all ages can find things to do such as:
- Host a tea party in a Victorian playhouse .
- Pretend to be a news reporter by reading scripts and seeing yourself on camera .
- Explore the imagination of Dr. Seuss by preparing green eggs and ham or viewing fish in the One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish pond .
The Children's Museum in BostonThis Boston museum has many activities for toddlers, so it is a great place to take very young children and help develop motor skills. Kids will enjoy the tree-house jungle gym and the other activities that promote movement and fun. At the Messy Sensory Station , kids can hunt for balls in shaving cream.
The museum has plenty of activities for older children as well, including an award-winning exhibit called "Arthur's World" where kids can hang out in the Reed family kitchen .
Brooklyn Children's MuseumFounded in Brooklyn in 1899, the Brooklyn Children's Museum is one of the oldest museums for kids still in operation. It has four levels of exhibits to explore, offering something for everyone including:
- Together in the City : Kids can pretend to be grown-up by exploring different career options. For instance, they can be a movie producer, a singer or a chef.
- Music Mix : This is one of the nosier exhibits, since kids can try a variety of different instruments, ranging from the very simple to the more complex.
- Animal Outpost : Kids can learn about animals including snakes, rabbits, frogs and more.
The Strong Museum in Rochester, New YorkThis museum has strong influences from the past, and it is close to Rochester vacation rentals as well. You'll most likely spot toys and games that you remember from your childhood. This is a great way to show your kids ways that playing is the same and different from back when you were a child.
When you book your next family vacation rental, try find out where the closest children's museum is and be sure to set aside time for a visit.