Save On Gas For Your Next Getaway
Don’t let the price of gas put the brakes on your travel plans. You’ve worked hard all year for that precious two-week vacation. Instead of choosing a “staycation” and spending all your precious vacation time at home, consider gas-friendly getaways, perhaps in your own neck of the woods. Plan an old-fashioned road trip and forget about scrambling to book an overpriced flight last minute. A short stay in a nearby vacation rental is the perfect way to save money without having to sacrifice time, money, or recreation.
Do’s & Don’ts to Save Gas:
- Don’t be idle. Letting your car’s engine idle for even one minute uses the same amount of gas as starting your engine and wastes energy. So when you make that pit stop, just turn off the engine.
- Don’t rev your engine. Save the unnecessary acceleration for the racetrack. Repeated pumping on the gas pedal wastes gas and doesn’t earn you any friends on the road.
- Do be an early bird or a night owl. When it comes to buying gas, your best bet is filling up when it’s cool outside – early in the morning or late at night. Fill up the night before the big trip and save money – and time.
- Don’t open your windows when you’re driving on the freeway. Opening your windows causes drag and significantly reduces your gas mileage. Use the AC instead.
- Don’t speed. Not only is it safer to follow the legal speed limit, it’s also more fuel efficient. There are no mandatory check-in times when you stay in a vacation rental, so you can take your time. Chill out on cruise control and arrive fashionably late.
- Do take the road most traveled. Avoid rough roads or short cuts. Dirt and gravel can cut down on your gas mileage – by 30 mph – which can make a significant difference on a road trip.
- Do choose a centrally located vacation rental to be within walking distance of everything on your itinerary. Park the car when you get there and don’t get in until you leave.
- Book a HomeAway vacation rental near you at one of these gas-friendly getaways:
Southeast vacation rentals
Southwest vacation rentals
Northeast vacation rentals
Eastern US vacation rentals
Northwest vacation rentals
West Coast vacation rentals
Other tips for traveling cheap? Research cheap things to do in your destination, with guides like Free Things to Do in Cape Coral, FL.